Weather, we got lots!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
Last Saturday, my wife made the great sacrifice of getting up at her work time so we could pick up and install some garden block before it got hot. It hit 101F that day. This morning it was 46F and it might break 70! Weird to go from AC to heating in a week.

Heading down to the country place tonight, with a little luck there will be some ripe blackberries. I'm hoping it is cold tomorrow morning so I can zap the hornet and wasp nests in the eves. They were building away in the heat two weeks ago.

It's been nominally dry this summer, but I know when the rains will start. The day after we get 15 yards of soil and compost delivered!

It's been a weird summer for us this year, too, but it's NOT unusual to use heat and air conditioning in the same day. We routinely have nights in the 40s in August, while the days are still quite warm for the most part.

What is bothering me is that the leaves have been changing already- I'd like to see the leaves start to change color after Labor Day, not before!

Everything seems early this year. All the berries I normally pick later are already ripe. We had a very hot summer this year that we normally don't get.
My hops are ready to be picked now and usually they aren't ready until late September.

It's been blazingly hot here this summer and dryer than usual. I have a tree in the front yard that has been dropping leaves since early July. It will never lose all it's leaves but steadily drop unti until next spring. Weirdest tree ever. By fall I think the trees around here are just going to go from green to brown with very little nice fall color in between. I just love this dry, hot, dusty valley.

Yeah, we got blasted last week and many of the trees got scorched and the leaves are turning or outright burned. I'm having trouble convincing Kellie that is all that's happening.

When I lived in SoCal, the Santa Ana winds would come blasting though and trees would go from green to brown in a couple days.

Ha ha.. yep I remember those winds! I use to live at near Camarillo (I was stationed at Point Mugu Naval Air Station) Weather was mostly great all year round but when those hot dry Santa Anna winds blew, life got miserable. Seemed like for a while the cycle was hot winds in the fall, then fires and then rain would come and houses in Malibu would slide down the hills.

Back