What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
11617375-FDCD-4659-8698-9668CB9B1C33.jpeg

Cold IPA last night. HBC happy hour (a monthly event at a different place every month).
C438C4A6-65A1-4C18-B277-EA7A78711CF1.jpeg

I’d never had a Cold IPA before so this was a good chance to try one. This was kind of meh, to be honest. Crisp and dry but the bitterness was just straight up bitter with no distinctive hop flavor. I also had a Scottish Ale which was really good.

Carter’s is in the heart of downtown Billings which, unlike a lot of cities, isn’t a wasteland, deserted by urban sprawl. Lots of cool shops, theaters, renovated commercial buildings with retail/bar/restaurant spaces on the ground floor with loft apartments on the upper floors. And, there are 5 breweries ( Carter’s, Thirsty Street, Angry Hank’s, Überbrew, and, the one that started it all, 20 years ago, The Montana Brewing Company), all within walking distance, so a literal pub crawl is a thing. :cool:

Looks good! Is a blonde Doppelbock the same as a Helles Bock, or what? Can you share an outline of the recipe?
Sorry for the late reply. Basically, my Blonde Doppelbock recipe is a variation of a regular Doppelbock I brew without the reddish color. I had a blonde Doppelbock by Capital and decided to try my own version of it and since I was already brewing doppelbocks I just revised that recipe. I guess it could be a Helles bock or a Maibock as it shares a lot of the same attributes.

For a ten-gallon batch this is what I use. Also, I brew it as an ale at a cooler fermentation temp but it could certainly be brewed as a lager. Many folks would disagree on my selection of yeast, but this is my recipe and it works great for what I want.

1677878978736.png

AlexKay noted that the Aromatic malt looked a little high. That's what I brewed and it tastes fantastic! I did check my past recipes when I was brewing 15 gallon batches and I was using four pounds in them.

Thanks for the pointing that out AlexKay! Anyone else out there that tries this recipe could try using less . . . . or more if that suits you.

Having a relaxing few after a steady-eddy week of orders and Spring bookings. I think people are getting fishing fever!

Establishment Brewing continues to amaze with all sorts of different styles, here, an 8.0% Imperial Dark Sour with raspberries. It's a warm, soothing kick.

Omega Lutra is finally available in slurry form at my local HBS, so now it's trying to decide on a hazy IPA recipe...or a clear pineapple ale? Hmmm. Any suggestions ? PMs are welcome.

Cheers everyone! Happy Friday. :mug:

Establishment_TGGINS_w_Lutra.jpg

Last edited:
Back