What are you listening to (music!!!) right now? Embarrassing or not... share

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chuck Berry's "Little Queenie" although with the politically correct environment upon which we find ourselves "She's too cute to be a minute over 17" is probably unacceptable. So what! Great song.

I actually was fortunate to see Chuck Berry perform in the 1980s. Won tickets from WXTR 104. Called the station after the concert to thank them and said, "My life is complete. I've seen Chuck Berry". Go... go... go... Little Queenie...

This song speaks to me for some reason. In my adult life I've always tried to understand both sides of any issue and be informed and thoughtful but the funny thing about being in the "middle" is that often all sides think you're wrong...

Love that song.

Yep, it's me getting my azz kicked from Sifu Husek. Felton (Santa Cruz), CA circa mid-90s. Loved Kung Fu...MMA flucked everything up tho.

Screenshot_2019-05-16-19-15-26.jpeg

This song speaks to me for some reason. In my adult life I've always tried to understand both sides of any issue and be informed and thoughtful but the funny thing about being in the "middle" is that often all sides think you're wrong...
Not many songs put a tear in my eye. All I thought of was Climate Change and the incredible damage our spieces is doing for the next couple generations to clean up. Sad..

Last edited:
An underrated band from the late 70's into the 80's. I'm happy they finally got recognized by the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame as meaningless as it's seemed to have become.

Good song, and whenever I hear it I still can't help but think of Phoebe Cates, even though it's been nearly 40 years now.

Every year guitarist Godfrey Townsend plays an Eric Clapton tribute concert, usually at BB King's in Manhattan. This past Friday night it was at The Space in Westbury, NY. I know the core of this band, spent a lot of time with them, such good guys and so talented. Someone shot some 4k footage this time. Very cool.

Every year guitarist Godfrey Townsend plays an Eric Clapton tribute concert, usually at BB King's in Manhattan. This past Friday night it was at The Space in Westbury, NY. I know the core of this band, spent a lot of time with them, such good guys and so talented. Someone shot some 4k footage this time. Very cool.

Love that he has the Layla album cover art painted on his guitar. Great version of one of my all time favorite songs.

I was managing a CD store when this came out. It is one of the best blues guitar recordings I have ever heard. They flew off the shelf when we played it in the store.

Have you listened to Solomon Burke (aka the fat man). Finest R&B I've heard. Most people will combine that with blues, though they are different. All vocals, but man. I love the whole album this is on:

I've never been into the Miley type of music but when you have a great song and the band to back it up it just works.
She's dirty and got some chops. I'd like to hear her play raw and I worked designing Pro Tools. I'm a Luddite. I miss working at that place. Met a lot of interesting people and stories

This is probably OT but I posted this SRV video because he was the guitarist I aspired to be and since this is a music thread maybe someone might have some ideas.Long story short I have a different wired brain apparently so things that most people do that favor one hand I have tended to divide up between left and right handed. I favor left handed for writing and playing guitar but things like golf, baseball and really fine work I did right handed. Of those and others, guitar playing was the only one that really mattered but carpal tunnel surgery in my late 20's, and then reconstructive surgery on my right elbow as the result of a construction accident left me with nerve damage that didn't allow me to play like I used to. I made an attempt to teach myself to play right handed but a stroke a few years ago put an end to that. So I'm thinking of donating my guitar collection, not huge, only a couple of Fender Strats, a Gibson Les Paul, a couple of amps, a Yamaha dreadnought, a Goya gut string acoustic, and an old Moog synthesizer to a local high school music program. The problems is that so few high schools seem to have music programs any more, really sad, so I'm open to ideas. I could undoubtedly sell every thing and make a tidy sum but I'd like to pass them on to kids that can't afford good instruments. Anyone know of any music programs close to Maine that might need help? I'm retired so I don't have a lot of money to ship things all over the country but I do have a lot of time on my hands so I could drive if it's not too far.

This is probably OT but I posted this SRV video because he was the guitarist I aspired to be and since this is a music thread maybe someone might have some ideas.Long story short I have a different wired brain apparently so things that most people do that favor one hand I have tended to divide up between left and right handed. I favor left handed for writing and playing guitar but things like golf, baseball and really fine work I did right handed. Of those and others, guitar playing was the only one that really mattered but carpal tunnel surgery in my late 20's, and then reconstructive surgery on my right elbow as the result of a construction accident left me with nerve damage that didn't allow me to play like I used to. I made an attempt to teach myself to play right handed but a stroke a few years ago put an end to that. So I'm thinking of donating my guitar collection, not huge, only a couple of Fender Strats, a Gibson Les Paul, a couple of amps, a Yamaha dreadnought, a Goya gut string acoustic, and an old Moog synthesizer to a local high school music program. The problems is that so few high schools seem to have music programs any more, really sad, so I'm open to ideas. I could undoubtedly sell every thing and make a tidy sum but I'd like to pass them on to kids that can't afford good instruments. Anyone know of any music programs close to Maine that might need help? I'm retired so I don't have a lot of money to ship things all over the country but I do have a lot of time on my hands so I could drive if it's not too far.
Whhhhhhhhy OT? Very generous offer and great idea. I could think of no better idea. Im a lefty and always been forced to be righty (nuns included and righty friends to use my guitar). I broke my left arm playing hockey and never felt comfortable playing righty especially after that. I've been thinking of picking it up again as lefty. Before i could play righty and with a little bit of struggle flip Albert King/ Jimi style to play lefty. As u say brain wired odd.

I've played a lot of instruments growing up that we're amazing instruments AND donated. Donating to a school is a generous offer. Also hospitals aid in adding music to physical and mental support. Many people don't realize the low points in recovery when music make lives a bit more happy. You're gift would see so many returns. I don't know of any organizations in Maine but visit a couple. There are so many places that could benefit and appreciate your interest and be happy to tell their stories. I bet the stories to your donation would have a great return to your heart.

In other news. I love how Hendrix was never confident on his voice and so was Stevie. I wish I could come 1/20th of the skills to play behind the back like this...

Last edited:
It's a shame you can't play guitar anymore. Donating them is indeed a very generous thing to do, and hopefully you'll be able to find a school or a hospital, as The Dude L. suggested. One other thought, even though it's probably too far to have to deal with, would be donating the gear to Berkley School of Music in Boston. I'm certain it would all be put to good use there.
Whatever you decide, even if you decide to sell everything, best of luck to you.

I stand corrected after watching the full video 1/100th

If you're close to Portland it's quite a free city and sure shares the struggles that SRV had but any school in Maine especially. I'd say school system from jr to hs. Even if they don't choose music as a career, music will be something that whether they know it or not contributes forever. Plus the teachers for the struggle never have their voices heard.

Whhhhhhhhy OT? Very generous offer and great idea. I could think of no better idea. Im a lefty and always been forced to be righty (nuns included and righty friends to use my guitar). I broke my left arm playing hockey and never felt comfortable playing righty especially after that. I've been thinking of picking it up again as lefty. Before i could play righty and with a little bit of struggle flip Albert King/ Jimi style to play lefty. As u say brain wired odd.

I've played a lot of instruments growing up that we're amazing instruments AND donated. Donating to a school is a generous offer. Also hospitals aid in adding music to physical and mental support. Many people don't realize the low points in recovery when music make lives a bit more happy. You're gift would see so many returns. I don't know of any organizations in Maine but visit a couple. There are so many places that could benefit and appreciate your interest and be happy to tell their stories. I bet the stories to your donation would have a great return to your heart.

In other news. I love how Hendrix was never confident on his voice and so was Stevie

Thank you for that. I find it really sad that I live in one of the most affluent towns in my state and their school music program is so limited that that unless your parents can afford to buy your instrument you are excluded from music. They have no program for accepting instruments for kids who's parent can't afford them. One way or another I'll find a way to get my instrument into the hands of kids that really need them. I don't care for any recognition, I'd just like for my guitars,etc to go somewhere they are appreciated the same way I do/did.

It's a shame you can't play guitar anymore. Donating them is indeed a very generous thing to do, and hopefully you'll be able to find a school or a hospital, as The Dude L. suggested. One other thought, even though it's probably too far to have to deal with, would be donating the gear to Berkley School of Music in Boston. I'm certain it would all be put to good use there.
Whatever you decide, even if you decide to sell everything, best of luck to you.

Thank you. Giving up was a pretty emotional decision but I realized that it's foolish to hang on to things that I'll never use again when there's people out there that would probably make much better use of them than I ever did. And if I'm helping people get into music that might not normally be able to afford it, that's epic.

Back