What are your contrarian/"unpopular" beer opinions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
malty beers are delicious. Sour beers are awful. Only one id drink is Dogfishhead Seaquench ale and only on a hot summer day.

I've become pretty good at making malty beers, even though I prefer hoppy ones simply because it's much easier for me to get the malt to do what I want than hops. Malty beer is great as long as it's not both boozy and estery, those tend to have a sickly sweet flavor that I can't stand.

What I've found works very nicely is plenty of carabrown malt with nice clean yeast or a small amount of caraaroma mixed with something else flavorful.

People in Belgium don't know how to brew good beer and most lagers are flavorless.. Give me a good IPA, PORTER or STOUT.

your taste buds must be burnt out. I love me a well crafted lager (San Adams comes to mind) and I love the Belgian yeasts. Fall is one of my favorite times of year because of the Marzen/Octoberfest beers available. Ballast Point's Dead Ringer is one of my favorites. I also love love dopple bachs.

There is no such thing as seasons for beer. Stouts are tasty year round.

IPA-bros wouldn't know a good beer from a bad beer - IBU and "whalez bro" are all they care about and it's making 'beer culture' and craft beer bars less appealing places to be.

There is no such thing as seasons for beer. Stouts are tasty year round.

IPA-bros wouldn't know a good beer from a bad beer - IBU and "whalez bro" are all they care about and it's making 'beer culture' and craft beer bars less appealing places to be.
Agree with this...I think the crush of super hopped / bittered beers has made the art of a well balanced beer totally unappreciated and unfortunately unprofitable for many breweries.

It's hop burn out. Drink enough IPAs and anything without the IBUs tastes boring. Same thing happens with spicy food.

What? I'm offended and I can't handle criticism. You either have really bad taste or you just haven't seen the light yet. I must convert you or heckle you into silence. Oh wait... you said sours and not NEIPA? Never mind then. Carry on.
:D

rhys needs a safe space/quiet room. I live in So Cal and I've only tried one NEIPA, it was tasty, but nothing I would run out to get though. Lagunitas Sucks is still the best hopped beer I have ever had. :mug:

Watermelon wheat beers are gross, so far. Ive tried two different labels and both tasted sharp with an acetone-like smell.

Watermelon wheat beers are gross, so far. Ive tried two different labels and both tasted sharp with an acetone-like smell.
21st amendment hell or high watermelon is probably the best I've had, I enjoy it though I don't consider it a "great" beer it's quite good in the summer heat. I brewed a more or less clone of it this summer and it got rave reviews from family and friends. I was actually really disappointed with new Belgium's take on a watermelon beer this summer. There's some others that taste off like candy or artificial.

rhys needs a safe space/quiet room. I live in So Cal and I've only tried one NEIPA, it was tasty, but nothing I would run out to get though. Lagunitas Sucks is still the best hopped beer I have ever had. :mug:

Yes, I was laying the sarcasm on pretty thick in that last post. Also I dislike NEIPA.

21st amendment hell or high watermelon is probably the best I've had, I enjoy it though I don't consider it a "great" beer it's quite good in the summer heat. I brewed a more or less clone of it this summer and it got rave reviews from family and friends. I was actually really disappointed with new Belgium's take on a watermelon beer this summer. There's some others that taste off like candy or artificial.

My son once talked me into buying a 6er of Ballast Point's Watermelon Dorado, a watermelon IPA and it took a very long time to finish off that 6er. I'll posit that watermelon and hops don't dance well together. :ban::mug:

Hmm, If I can find 21st A's take on it in a single bottle, Ill give it a shot. NB is one of the labels, the other is a local craft brewery.

I usually hate fruit beers but really liked New Belgium's watermelon lime. I was surprised. Then I tried their lime beer... Still mostly hate fruit beers.

Curious, do you dislike all pumpkin things, or just beer? I love it all but my Dad hates it, beer, coffee, pie, cookies etc just hates that flavor.

I like pumpkin pie and stuff like that but drinking a glass of pie flavored beer no thanks.

I hate store bought pumpkin beer! A buddy in our club brews one that he cellars for at least a year and it taste like grandmas fresh pumpkin pie right out of the oven and it's amazing. He has won several competitions with it. He will tell me what's in it , but won't give me the recipe.

your taste buds must be burnt out. I love me a well crafted lager (San Adams comes to mind) and I love the Belgian yeasts. Fall is one of my favorite times of year because of the Marzen/Octoberfest beers available. Ballast Point's Dead Ringer is one of my favorites. I also love love dopple bachs.

Yup they are pretty well shot after 74 years. LOL Most if not all Lagers tast the same....flavorless. A dark larger is the only one I'll drink. But each to their own. Enjoy the many flavors and style that beer gives us. :mug:

All my opinions about beer change over time. I think I like IPAs now.

Do you now like specific IPAs that you used to hate, or did you find IPAs you liked?

Because I've found that the when the "Hops-Are-Meant-To-Be-Experienced-As-A-Seasoning-Not-A-Baseball-Bat-To-The-Face Heresy" expands into IPAs, the results actually come out pretty well. (IPAs I genuinely like: Sierra Nevada's Six Rights, and the two I've made. I've found a few others I can tolerate.)

Speaking of contrarian opinions, since there appears to be no precedent for this, let me offer a little (original) vocabulary contribution:

Barfywine: n

"Bar-fee-wien"

1. A very high alcohol IPA inexplicably and perversely marketed as a "Barleywine."

[Edit]Contrarian opinion dump!

There is nothing appealing about a wheat beer that tastes strongly of watermelon rind.

Pumpkin beers are disgusting.

Pumpkin stouts or porters can actually be pretty good. Adding pumpkin and pie spice to a random pale/amber ale has no redeeming features.

Contrarian opinion, or not, vorlauff is useless.

Hazing new brewers by lying through one's teeth and assuring them that if they pour first runnings back into the top of the mash tun carefully enough for long enough they will eventually get wort runoff that isn't cloudy and full of grain bits has run its course as a cruel joke. Suggest the community switch to something based on drop bears.

Do you now like specific IPAs that you used to hate, or did you find IPAs you liked?

Because I've found that the when the "Hops-Are-Meant-To-Be-Experienced-As-A-Seasoning-Not-A-Baseball-Bat-To-The-Face Heresy" expands into IPAs, the results actually come out pretty well. (IPAs I genuinely like: Sierra Nevada's Six Rights, and the two I've made. I've found a few others I can tolerate.)

I don't even know what kinds of IPAs I had before that I didn't like. I remember having one in Austin that I hated, and a few others before that that honestly tasted quite similar. Recently I had the Stone Brewery IPA and enjoyed it along with Bell's Two Hearted IPA. They are definitely two different takes on an IPA with Stone's being a bit more slap to the face compared to the much smoother and lower IBU Two Hearted, but I found them both enjoyable. I think it's literally my tolerance and appreciation of hops that has changed, and that's mostly due to drinking copious amounts of my own homebrew. Before I began brewing I mostly drank light American lagers, so my taste buds never really got conditioned for more flavorful styles. I was so afraid of making an awful bitter beer like the ones I had and hated before that it took me a while to even start experimenting with hops. I guess over time my palate has just developed more.

I think it's literally my tolerance and appreciation of hops that has changed, and that's mostly due to drinking copious amounts of my own homebrew.

I think the big difference for me was the epiphany that it is SUPPOSED to taste that way, where before I just figured they didn't know how to make beer.

[rant]
this turbid "NorthEast IPA" fad that's the latest stampede ... stupid.

I overheard a brewer recently that said, "my latest NEIPA came out clear, I was so disappointed!" :rolleyes:

And another thing, there is NO such style as NEIPA, so you northerners need to get over yourselves. The only appropriate style is 21B where the appearance may be "slightly hazy", not turbid and/or muddy.
[/rant]

:p

Oh I don't know, it's probably pretty effective for disguising off flavors and covering up brewing mistakes.

Handy too if you're brewing in September before the new hop harvest arrives, and all you have left are hops that have been kicking round the brewery for 12 or 24 months and no longer taste of much.

[rant]
this turbid "NorthEast IPA" fad that's the latest stampede ... stupid.

I overheard a brewer recently that said, "my latest NEIPA came out clear, I was so disappointed!" :rolleyes:

And another thing, there is NO such style as NEIPA, so you northerners need to get over yourselves. The only appropriate style is 21B where the appearance may be "slightly hazy", not turbid and/or muddy.
[/rant]

:p

Mate, those are competition guidelines, not actual, historically accurate beer rules! :-D

Back