What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kale pesto white cheddar sauce. Little extra Tuscano EVO, cream and pesto.
HoGyxwP.jpg

DANG you people and your pasta! LOL!!

We actually found something that is not a bad substitute - hearts of palm "pasta" - they have angel hair, spaghetti and lasagna. We tried the spaghetti and found it quite acceptable under a bed of meat-heavy marinara and mushrooms. It comes "wet packed" in a vacuum sealed bag, enough for two servings. It's just lengths of hearts of palm cut into a spaghetti-like shape/length. I have a couple jars of hearts of palm in about 4" lengths - might try cutting them myself and see how that works out.

Tonight though we'll have the fruits of our Traeger labors later today. Chicken, ribs, bison burgers, assorted brats. Chances are good we'll eat the two thick bison burgers hot off the grill - the rest of it will reheat nicely in the air fryer for the coming week!

I do like spaghetti squash and have eaten it as a pasta substitute many times. We don't eat any grains or legumes, except some peanut butter. When your daily carb limit is 20 - you really pay attention to what you're taking in.... Thanks for the suggestions though! :)

Last edited:
No recent pictures - had yummy pulled smoked chicken tacos last night though, on Parmesan cheese wraps - worked great. With diced avocado, sliced black olives, sliced green onions, homefermented tomatillo/jalapeno salsa.

Also uncovered and wiped down the big Weber gas grill yesterday, relined the drip pan with heavy foil, put in a new propane tank, fired it off - everything working perfectly! Ready to go!

We've been having 80* days the past 5 days so it's definitely grilling weather. Gonna cook Alaskan cod filets out on the side burner tonight - with browned butter caper sauce.

HotChicken.jpg

From scratch Nashville Hot Chicken. Followed the Binging With Babish (check him out on YouTube, I like him) recipe, based on Hattie B's. It was pretty good. Worth the work? Maybe. I have a really great chicken place near me, but its not hot chicken. Id say I would do it again if I really wanted hot chicken.

Skimped on the Mac Salad though. That was store bought. Still good though...

View attachment 677856

From scratch Nashville Hot Chicken. Followed the Binging With Babish (check him out on YouTube, I like him) recipe, based on Hattie B's. It was pretty good. Worth the work? Maybe. I have a really great chicken place near me, but its not hot chicken. Id say I would do it again if I really wanted hot chicken.

Skimped on the Mac Salad though. That was store bought. Still good though...
Looks great! I've done a bunch of great fried chicken recipes but man it's a lot of effort. We did Popeye's last night!!

Supporting local.
Takeout from one of our favorite locals. Each dinner had 3 big pieces of fried chicken, couscous jambalaya, watermelon and celery seed slaw, a cornbread muffin with melted honey-butter for dipping, and a fresh baked dinner roll. For dessert (not pictured), a slice of the creamiest cheesecake I think I've ever had. All fresh made in house.

*Picture from Instagram
[IMG]

Awesome! Thanks. Cant wait to make some. The beer sounds like a nice touch. I know here in Colorado all the craft mustards have beer. How does this compare to cooked mustard where you boil it? So glad to have your mustard skills helping me.

Smelling so good I couldnt help but take a taste. Yeet! I knew that taste like the back of my hand, chinese mustard. Apparently this is how you make that too, I love that stuff! Mine tasted like dijon mustard, grey poupon actually quite a bit. Consistency was perfect then it over boiled a touch. I have been making other sauces. The homemade pancake syrup is great. It is lemon organic oil because I didnt have maple flavoring. Still though it is so good. Also I have been making hersheys chocolate syrup with droste cocoa.

Sorry for the long post been a while. Did I post this? I dont think so. My son was all sad we didnt have ice cream. I thought ok ok Ill make some and we made mango sorbet. As far as compared to the skim or 1 percent homemade ice cream, the sorbet wins hands down. It was so good. A splash of lime in there.

Got my new pampered chef air fryer up and running. I have thoughts, but quick version is the larger these counter appliances are the less powerful the heat seems. My little skillet cooks much more powerful than big one, same plug, but its little. Anyways made these buns real quick and hot dogs for lunch. The kids have been using the air fryer, now a kids easy bake oven. They made muffin pizzas that were really good. Last but not least, I am so happy to get dehydrator out. Kid motivated. Used honeycrisp sprinkled with ceylon cinnamon and sugar. They didn't last long.View attachment 677189 View attachment 677190 View attachment 677191 View attachment 677192 View attachment 677193 View attachment 677194
I have to ask, is it Apple scrap or Apples Crap? Lol

I had planned to grill my thick ribeye steak last night on the Weber grill but it was just too windy out so I panfried it in the cast iron skillet with the Meater inserted dead-center in the steak. Came out perfectly! No picture though.

I also made keto peanut butter/chocolate chip ice cream yesterday. I've made a lot of flavors of ice cream since we bought that Cuisinart ice cream maker but KOTC and I agreed - this was the favorite so far! Will try to remember to take a picture of THAT later. :)

3 ingredient peanut butter cookies. Its just organic peanut butter, sugar and egg. Second one also has hazelnut added. Making another batch with cashews added.

These are freakishly good and no flour of any kind is needed.
IA6xLyq.jpg

VOf1a8N.jpg

Pork for Tacos al Pastor from last night. Never got a picture after I shredded it and put in in tortillas with fresh pineapple and queso fresco :( Very tasty indeed! Probably should have waited till tomorrow for Cinco de Mayo though :)
View attachment 678793

I keep meaning to try a trompo, but ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh it's a lot.

I had some leftover ragu so I boiled some pasta shells, mixed with the sauce, layered it lasagna style with mozzarella from last night’s pizza, 350*F until bubbly and brown and ...walla... pasta bake.

First run on freshly made pasta. There’s something satisfying about using the dough roller and the feel of the dough as it gets to where it needs to be for cutting.

Attachments

• FAD91675-B186-479A-B756-8415AF1C5571.jpeg
    FAD91675-B186-479A-B756-8415AF1C5571.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
  • 088B274A-9E19-4454-8C82-F76BFC6F9AA5.jpeg
    088B274A-9E19-4454-8C82-F76BFC6F9AA5.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
  • E9479E18-A089-4B70-B3AF-9D12757F4412.jpeg
    E9479E18-A089-4B70-B3AF-9D12757F4412.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
Back