Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxM

Reaction score
I made what was called a "Honey Kolsch" the other day, but I fermented it with US-05. It tastes pretty good, but I don't think it would be right to call it a Kolsch...

For 5G
6 lb Gold Malt Extract
1 lb Honey

1 oz Vanguard (AA 6.0%) @60 min
1 oz Vanguard (AA 6.0%) @30 min

11.5g US-05 American Ale

OG: 1052
FG: 1007
ABV: 5.9%
~5 SRM (Pale Gold)

Maybe it's splitting hairs, but I can't help but think since I used American yeast and hops, I've made something other than a Kolsch (barring the fact that I made it 5,000 miles from Cologne). I ran it through Brewer's Friend to try to get it to figure it out for me, but it didn't yield satisfactory results.

It seems to me that I got the right feel for a Kolsch (noble(ish) hops, light body with mild sweetness, and pear/Reisling flavors with a dry finish). But because the hops and yeast are both American, maybe I made something in between - sort of an American-style Kolsch. Analytically, the things that are off-style are IBU and ABV, both of which are higher than a Kolsch should be(according to BJCP)... and both of which Americans tend to want to increase.

I'd love to hear your thoughts; thanks!

I agree with your inner critic: when you get right down to it, there's actually nothing about that recipe that even suggests "kolsch" :)
If the Vanguard hallertau-ish character was all it took the style wouldn't mean much...

Cheers!

Last edited:
Back