What do you hear when you tell prople you Home Brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prost! said:
Wow. Sounds like you have some issues. I'd tell you to take a chill pill, but I'm afraid you'd have a problem with that too. So just try to settle down, Francis.

Hey, he didn't think it was funny and expressed his opinion as such. He didn't get nasty with you, and didn't get personal.

Let's get back on topic, huh?

Some say they've never tasted good brew, and some say it is just yeasty. So I say this ain't that yeast you have been drinking. When I explain some of the processes involved in my making homebrew they tell me they have never heard of anyone going through all that trouble to make homebrew. I tell them it isn't trouble to make a great tasting beer and I enjoy every step along the way from crushing the grain by hand to the cleaning of bottles/kegs and finally the drinking of great brew. A lot of my buddies have enjoyed and currently enjoy my beers and some have tried their hand at making some.

I've received nothing but positive feedback when I tell people that I homebrew. For the most part they get excited and start asking a lot of questions. I find it a lot of fun to give bottles of my homebrew to friends and customers at the bakery where I work and then get positive comments the next day or so on how much they liked it.

I also get a bunch of responses from people that they used to homebrew at some point in their lives. I find that cool to hear!

I've found that the way to get people to stop turning up their noses at your homebrew is to start kegging. I took two corny's to a superbowl party and everyone loved it (Wheat beer and American Pale Ale). They'll taste it before asking any questions because it's in a keg and after they've had it, it's too late to try to act all snobby.

Passload said:
When I told my friends, I was going to start brewing my own beer they turned up their noses. Said that they had tried some a few years back and it was the worst s**t they had ever tasted.

I get that responce often. I think a lot of it is badly made Ubrew beer, where they age it 7 days, filter and force carb bottle. Tends to taste lke crap. And newbie hombrewers that don't understand that yeast in the bottle thing.

Pisses me off when someone says, OK, I'll try it, like you just offered them buckleys, then says, "hey, this isn't bad, with a little more practice you'll be almost as good as __insert megaswill brand here__. THAT pisses me off...

DrewsBrews.. You didn't offer those power guys some homebrews? Or were you out? Don't be suprised if you see a power utility truck in your neighborhood in 2 weeks. :D

Nah... told 'em that I had just drained the two kegs in the fridge a few days back (which was true).

Wouldn't that be telling, if something in the system "failed" around two weeks out and a bunch of big, orange trucks showed up. :cool:

Dude said:
I've gotten nothing but big time interest. Everyone seems to be extremely intrigued by it.

Usually it goes like... "You do what?" Everyone thinks it is very hard for some odd reason.

Normall I get a raised eyebrow followed by Really! or That's Really Cool.

Then generally alot of questions.

Overall very positive.

I've gotten pretty good feedback all around so far. Honestly, I don't tell many folks that I homebrew as my friends find it interesting enough to "advertise" for me :D After their first taste, it's usually the "is it hard?" or "how?" that pops up first.

my brothers and a few cousins are really supportive and excited about brewing beer, they want to open a pub though. they both help out... my father wouldn't drink anything i brewed for over a year. he would smell it and say, too strong, too yeasty. say i'm going to go blind, or see me using idohpor and say no wonder it tastes like ****... he finally broke down and had a bottle of pale ale with us a few weeks ago, and really liked it. said it reminded him of sierra nevada pale ale, which he apparently likes, but not homebrew...:cross:

my old neighbors loved it, and we'd get a little ripped in the summer and grill up some meat and tatties to go with it.

i get lotsa questions about it, and most do not realize how intensive it really is. then i get the, your beer is dark, how do you get the beer yellow like the big three. i say lotsa corn/rice and water....

Mostly good feedback, and some skeptical intrigue mixed in. A couple co-workers brew also, and one of my buddies makes wine. My brothers love my brew, as have others that have tried it, but some are just low-brows who wonder why someone would devote over 1 month's time and energy to brewing beer when one can get a 30pack of thudlight for $18? Those people will NEVER understand.

Just about everyone I talk to about it is very interested and surprised.

I'm toying with the idea of opening a local homebrew supply store. The one here SUCKS! But I'd feel kind of bad putting them out of business.

I've gotten nothing but positive reactions, mostly from family members asking when I'm going to have my next batch ready. People whom I've only met in general - pretty much the same response. But then again, I hang out at a local brewery (St. Arnold) and pour beer on their Saturday tours.

mpetty said:
I'm toying with the idea of opening a local homebrew supply store. The one here SUCKS! But I'd feel kind of bad putting them out of business.

Why? It sounds like they are MINIMALLY providing a service and are only in business because there is no competition!

Unless you feel some kind of loyalty to the shop owner(s), I'd say you should go ahead and open up a quality shop. This will force them to lower prices or improve their store to stay competitive.

What's the worst that can happen? You might find that you'll end up with two quality shops in town, or they go out of business. If they go out of busniess and you feel bad about it, hire them on to help at your quality shop.

-walker

I've been thinkning of opening a homebrew shop here in Kelowna since the only places to get any sort of supplies here are ubrews. Just wondering about whether their is a big enough market here. Considering the unbrews make mostly megaswill clones because as a couple places have told me, no one asks for anything else. That got me a bit worried. You can by kits and some brewing supplies at SavonFoods and Zellers. I'd be into opening an AG supply shop.

Depends on who I'm talking to. When I tell women I homebrew they say, "Ooo - you're not married are you?"

;) Okay . . . maybe not. Generally speaking, everyone thinks it's cool.

AHU

A buddy of mine is a Science teacher in GB WI and they did brew a batch for class. Of course he took it home after the fermentation process and the learning about yeast and sugar conversion was over and "disposed" of the awful alcohol. I have been brewing a long time and have made some big mistakes along the way and the thing I find most intresting is that someone somewhere thinks its still good. I made a batch that looked and smelled like used 50 weight motor oil (it was a Kit for a brown) but my buddy Mongo loved it. Needless to say he was the proud owner of a case and a half of Quaker State.
I have thoughly enjoyed reading your responses except for the two guys that got into the pissing match about prescriptions and young goats.

Back