What happens when you use pilsner instead of 2 row in your imperial stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bf514921

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So brewing this morning and grind my grain go to mash in and relize instead of using 2 row, i grabbed base malt out of my bag of pilsner. making an imperial stout, what have i done to my imperial stout, will the beer be Lighter?
i am going to ferment and se what happens.

Pilsner normally requires a 90 minute boil instead of 60. Color shouldn't matter, since it will be dark anyway. Flavor probably wont be noticeable.

The 90 min boil is to help drive off DMS.

Make sure you sparge extra for the longer boil. It will likely help efficiency also.

It will be better as long as you boil for at least 90 min and it's a good quality pilsner.
I use it for all my beers except for American styles like IPA'S and Ambers. In my opinion a quality pilsner malt has better flavour than American pale malt. American 2 row is bred for lighter American style beer.

thanks alot, i will go redo my calculations for water, i will need a little extra for the 90 min boil, do you change anything in the mash besides the extra sparge?

it will be just as good, maybe evener more efficiency.

the 90min boil is overrated, you wont taste any DMS in a imperial stout from a 60 vs. 90minute boil

Back