What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took a gravity reading of my fresh hop ale with WLP013-London Ale. Started really slow and after 9 days since pitch, it's still 5 points away from expectation. 1st time using this yeast, so I don't know if that's normal. It was at 65F for 3 days, and then I bumped it to 70F for the last 6; just roused the yeast with a CO2 purge. Hoping for the best. It tastes fine, no residual sweetness like I would expect.

Yesterday…. Kegged a Hazy Pale.

Attachments

• IMG_1706.jpeg
    IMG_1706.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Relatives from Colorado came to visit L.A., we got one afternoon with them. Hit the Red Car Brewery in Torrance, then opened up the barrels and taps at home to give them samples of what's been brewing since the last time we saw them (3-5 years?). Nice to get opinions from folks who have access to some amazing beers in The Springs.

today brewed 15 litres of West Indian Porter

3000g Maris Otter
200g Naked Oats
200g Roasted Barley
80g Chocolate malt
250g Brown sugar
12g Chinook @ 60 minutes
15g Chinook @ 15 minutes
CML Five yeast
OG 1060 BHE 76%
I will add oak chips soaked in rum to the secondary and leave for 7-14 days

I supposed I didn't really "do" having my latest batch of hops delivered, so I'll have to say "updating my recipe with the correct AA values as Malt Miller only gave me accurate ones for half of them".

PXL-20231011-164513491.jpg

200g Bru-1 Lupomax
100g Vic Secret Lupomax
100g Motueka
100g Motueka CGX

Of which 400g will be going in:

Screenshot-20231011-175244.png

A rather aggressively dry hopped NEIPA (12g/L, all Cryo) fermented with Kolsch yeast.

Reviewed my last ESB recipe, to try an evolved, tweaked recipe. That got me pissed off thinking about Fuller's, and motivated. So I fired off an email to them asking why can't we find any ESB in America these days. The email was polite, but what have they done to ESB?
I hear you. Have not seen it anywhere in many years, only London Pride which is good but I do miss ESB. I'm not a hop head by any means but ESB is D-Lish. Just about all Fuller's beers are tasty

Transferred my Belgian Blond to a keg. Not real optimistic about this one. Efficiency was way down and attenuation was way up. Probably going to be thin and not very flavorful. Maybe an accidental lawn mower beer? Unfortunately it's almost time to stop mowing the lawn for the winter.
You should have plenty of leaves to mow. If not, c'mon over to my house and bring your gas can!

Meanwhile, I opened test bottle 2 (one of the 16oz swingtops) of the Hobyob American Amber Ale, and it went down smoothly and easily with the dinner pizza...
Week2Hobyob.jpg

Had the first of two wcipa kegs kick last night, so changed that out for its mate today. While I had the keezer open I did an "end of summer" cleaning inside and out, changed the EVA Dry desiccators out for a "recharged" pair, wiped dry the interior, wet wiped the exterior, and called it done.

Later I discovered that 2nd wcipa keg was totally flat :mad: The gas poppet had the tiniest leak but that keg had been sitting in the keezer for a good two months after it had been fully carbonated so plenty of time to flatten (sigh). Pulled the keg, stuck it in my conditioning fridge on 30 psi CO2 and gave it a few minutes of rocking to get a good start on recovery. Will flatten the head space pressure then put the keg on 12 psi over night. I should be able to get that keg carb'd up by tomorrow afternoon at the expense of it going a bit cloudy for awhile...

Cheers!

Yesterday kegged my IPA from a week or so back, seems like it will be pretty good.
Today bottled beer for a contest and dropped off them off. Entered an American light lager, German Leichtbier, Czech Premium Lager, English IPA and MaxStout's Piwo Grodziskie.
Good luck!

After cleaning and sanitizing the pin and stuff, today I have moved “jelly stick porter” (because s’mores marshmallow mess just wasn’t there) into the cask.
12AE1E88-1A12-4372-BD93-25DC570AC743.jpeg

Now to clean up. Oh and I’ve discovered a pellical starting on my grape ale. 🙁 it did have too much head space now it will be a mixed fermentation.

739EFDE4-EE9A-4E1B-85D7-40B2066EF452.jpeg

Apricot wheat now bottled. That was sitting a while, but color and flavor are good. I added the dry Brett to some bottles they will be ready for Homebrew alley. I also packed entries to ship to a competition. The last one to ship for this year, but not the last comp to enter.

Apricot wheat now bottled. That was sitting a while, but color and flavor are good. I added the dry Brett to some bottles they will be ready for Homebrew alley. I also packed entries to ship to a competition. The last one to ship for this year, but not the last comp to enter.
Hope your beers do well and good luck with your contests

Hope your beers do well and good luck with your contests
Much thanks!
CB376CFE-398C-47CE-85FC-76B1A6037F2D.jpeg

Accept for some cleaning this small batch of grape ale is bottled. What I thought was a pellical forming didn’t progress so after tasting it I decided to package it up. I topped off all but one with wine gas, but left my “tester” with no special treatment, so if I’m wrong there will be evidence in the tester. I love the color of this, it reminds me of a blush wine.

Bottled just over 5 gallons of SN Tumbler clone. Yielded 53 12oz longnecks. FG was a bit lower than expected--1.009, vs the expected 1.012. I pitched US-05, and OG was 1.053, so that gives about 83% AA. Mash temp was 152F. It'll be a tad on the thin side.

Hydro sample smelled and tasted good.

Latest posts

Back