What is the advantage of a plate chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willee

Reaction score
I am using a conterflow type of chiller that came with my GrainFather system.
Is the plate chiller better for chilling wort?

Not significantly. Any method of chilling is dependent on the source water temperature and flow rate. Plate chillers can be purchased with more plates and size so you get more surface area to chill the wort. So they can be faster. On a 5-10 gallon scale however, with water temperature and pressure being equal the difference between your cfc and a similar price point plate chiller is likely to be minimal from my understanding.

they both are similiar in theory

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wort-chiller-review-comparison.html

they ran a comparison, but it still depends on how big or long your cooler is.

Wort-Chiller-Comparison-Table-CORRECTED-1024x357.jpg

so in their testing the counterflow (exchilerator Maxx) was 3:39 vs the large plate (Duda Large) for 2:16

good tests, your results may vary.

The irony of it is fast cooling is an old concept and proven unnecessary. Enter no chill... I do a little of both. Chill to 100 that goes fast with any method and let it naturally drop overnight to pitch temp and pitch the next day...Never had a single issue.

The irony of it is fast cooling is an old concept and proven unnecessary. Enter no chill... I do a little of both. Chill to 100 that goes fast with any method and let it naturally drop overnight to pitch temp and pitch the next day...Never had a single issue.

Amen. I just completely no-chill and bring the hop additions down by 20, all late hops are added below 180 or dry hop.

I usually post this anytime someone discusses plate or counterflow etc, I know it must be annoying to some because it's not what the OP is after but I feel that No-Chill is an overlooked option and the equipment and time it takes to quickly chill a beer on an already messy and long brew day could be alleviated and open the doors for more new homebrewers who may be hesitant.

Sanitization issues always pop up and you need a no-chill vessel but if done right I feel it's more safe than my counterflow that's been collecting dust.

They chill a little bit faster, but are pretty close. Plate chillers clog more easily than a counterflow, but they can also be sanitized by boiling or baking in the oven.

Back