What to trade for Fouders CBS??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyberwollf

Reaction score
So I camped out when it was released and got a bottle. A week later I was at a tasting and had CBS on tap. It was great, but I think I still love KBS more. Anyways there is such hype for this beer but I dont really want to sell it, so what would be some reasonable trades I could seek out for amazing stuff thats hard to get?

Beers I love are mostly in the big stout styles: KBS, Founders breaksfast stout, 10Fidy, etc

and my loves are the other end are big and hoppy: Pliny, hopslam, blue dot, etc.

Im not much for the in the middle lagers or sweet malt forward beers.

What would some reasonable combinations of beers to try and trade CBS for?

I picked up two at the release (I'm not sure I've ever had a better time freezing my butt off for several hours to buy 2 beers!) Did you see Spongebob man while you were there??

I completely missed the KBS release and didn't get any Harvest either. I've never had the CBS, and I probably will drink it, but I'd like to share it with someone who could appreciate it. I'm the only one in my house who drinks beer, and the only friend I know who drinks good beer doesn't go for most stouts (as far as I know). I'll probably just hold onto it for a bit until the right moment comes along.

I wouldn't know what to trade it for either. Not familiar with any of the beers that I can't get, except for Pliny, and I've heard various opinions about it.

You can get almost any moderately rare beer for it. You could probably get a case of Pliny for it. It should trade about 1 for 1 for Black Tuesday or KtG. I would go to the trading forum at ratebeer or beeradvocate say you have a CBS and you want other stouts and see what people offer.

I picked up two at the release (I'm not sure I've ever had a better time freezing my butt off for several hours to buy 2 beers!) Did you see Spongebob man while you were there??

I completely missed the KBS release and didn't get any Harvest either. I've never had the CBS, and I probably will drink it, but I'd like to share it with someone who could appreciate it. I'm the only one in my house who drinks beer, and the only friend I know who drinks good beer doesn't go for most stouts (as far as I know). I'll probably just hold onto it for a bit until the right moment comes along.

I wouldn't know what to trade it for either. Not familiar with any of the beers that I can't get, except for Pliny, and I've heard various opinions about it.

I'd be glad to share it with you Homer :mug: lol

i did a trade here for a guy for 2 KBS for 1 22oz Abyss

volumes were roughly the same and the price we each paid were about the same and the trade beers were impossible to find in our respective areas so I think it was very fair trade

You can get almost any moderately rare beer for it. You could probably get a case of Pliny for it. It should trade about 1 for 1 for Black Tuesday or KtG. I would go to the trading forum at ratebeer or beeradvocate say you have a CBS and you want other stouts and see what people offer.

Oh, I forgot about KtG! That would be a great, pretty even trade!

Oh, I forgot about KtG! That would be a great, pretty even trade!

Wow it's really as valuable as Kate? I live fairly close to the brewery and anyone who goes to wait in line on the specific day enters a lottery to get one bottle. Otherwise you can just have some on tap.

Wow it's really as valuable as Kate? I live fairly close to the brewery and anyone who goes to wait in line on the specific day enters a lottery to get one bottle. Otherwise you can just have some on tap.

So you arn't gonna trade me :)

Are beer trades legal? Just wondering since I am sure that "trading" beer for cash is illegal without the proper license. I believe what you are doing is technically bartering alcohol....still probably illegal.

Phunhog said:
Are beer trades legal? Just wondering since I am sure that "trading" beer for cash is illegal without the proper license. I believe what you are doing is technically bartering alcohol....still probably illegal.

It's a commercial beer not homebrew.

What I should do is host a brewday with some HBT people and share it there.

I haven't been to a real brewday since this summer at Yoopers. I remember when we had them twice a year...

Encouraging others to bring "rare" beer would help everyone get the most of it.

It's a commercial beer not homebrew.

I am pretty sure that there is no exemption in the tax code/alcohol regulations that would allow a person to sell/trade/barter alcohol without a license. I bring this up because everytime someone even mentions selling homebrew a s*&tstorm gets stirred up. Everyone comes out saying how illegal it is and the thread gets locked up. How is the trading/bartering of alcohol, commercial or otherwise, any different?

I am pretty sure that there is no exemption in the tax code/alcohol regulations that would allow a person to sell/trade/barter alcohol without a license. I bring this up because everytime someone even mentions selling homebrew a s*&tstorm gets stirred up. Everyone comes out saying how illegal it is and the thread gets locked up. How is the trading/bartering of alcohol, commercial or otherwise, any different?

The tax by all parties concerned has already been paid. How many people get some buddies to help them move for some cold beer and pizza? The biggest concern I could see with a trade is if the trade was done across state lines and that is even a stretch. Selling homebrew is no way, even questionably, legal on a FEDERAL level...no exceptions. This is much more of a grey area...liquor licences are only needed when dealing with the open public.

back to the real topic...trading rare beer. I guess these threads make me sad because I will never get to try one of these because I will never have the time to wait in line for my chance at one.

The tax by all parties concerned has already been paid. How many people get some buddies to help them move for some cold beer and pizza? The biggest concern I could see with a trade is if the trade was done across state lines and that is even a stretch. Selling homebrew is no way, even questionably, legal on a FEDERAL level...no exceptions. This is much more of a grey area...liquor licences are only needed when dealing with the open public.

back to the real topic...trading rare beer. I guess these threads make me sad because I will never get to try one of these because I will never have the time to wait in line for my chance at one.

You could easily trade a few bottles of Wisconsin Belgian Red for any of the beers mentioned in this thread.

You can always get some! Just look on Ebay....tons of rare beers on auction right now. It is illegal though because they are selling alchohol without the proper licensing. I know that someone who wants to sell a vintage wine is supposed to go through a licensed wine broker if they want to re-sell the wine.

Back