What voltage for first pump purchase?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtfan99

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been looking at buying a pump for some time now and have read numerous threads debating which pump to go with. What I didn't see in these threads was whether to get a 120V or the 230V.

What is the advantage of going with a 230V vs a 120V version? Is there any or is this simply a US electrical standard vs non-US? I'm a complete dummy when it comes to electricity.

Thanks in advance.

In the US it is most practical to go with the 120 as that is what the standard outlet is wired for. I'm assuming you are using this for homebrewing applications in which a 120v pump will provide plenty of power. The 220v requires a special outlet (such as electric ovens or dryers would use); but, allows for a much more powerful pump to be used which is ideal for the nano/micro brewery...complete overkill for homebrewers.

In the us a 120 volt pump is fine. If you need something bigger (commercial brewery) you should look at 3 phase which is a different beast. I see no reason for a 240 volt pump in a us brewing application, unless 3 phase was unavailable.
A 240 volt pump will start a little (nearly undetectably) faster, otherwise if the pump specs not the motor specs are what matter.

In the US it is most practical to go with the 120 as that is what the standard outlet is wired for. I'm assuming you are using this for homebrewing applications in which a 120v pump will provide plenty of power. The 220v requires a special outlet (such as electric ovens or dryers would use); but, allows for a much more powerful pump to be used which is ideal for the nano/micro brewery...complete overkill for homebrewers.

In the us a 120 volt pump is fine. If you need something bigger (commercial brewery) you should look at 3 phase which is a different beast. I see no reason for a 240 volt pump in a us brewing application, unless 3 phase was unavailable.
A 240 volt pump will start a little (nearly undetectably) faster, otherwise if the pump specs not the motor specs are what matter.

Thanks for the quick response guys. 120V it is.

230v is more of a pain for non-commercial applications....the only advantage it has is that it uses 1/2 the amp draw of 115v other then that there is no performance gains. And unless you know how to do electrical work at home...the cost would not be worth it in the long run to have an electrician come out and run you a 230v outlet.

Back