What's your local going price for 50lbs of 2 row?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$47 for a sack of Great Western 2-Row from my LHBS. I thought this was pretty good until I started reading this thread... It's not BAD but it's not as good as some of your hookups.

$55 for a 55# of us 2 row at the LHBS which is why I am starting to get into bulk buys. Especially since MO is $75

Which LHBS is that? My wife going down to San Diego in early January; maybe she can visit the place.

Home Brew Mart/Ballast Point Brewery. Its a good LHBS plus they have a taster bar and growler sales, gotta love sipping on some Sculpin IPA while your shopping.

Out of curiosity I checked the LHBS prices on 50# bags. I recall 2 row being $55 for 50 lbs but Marris Otter was around 75 for 50 lbs! The stupid thing is that so much barley malt is produced in this state (MT) but it is 6 row for the BMC breweries and there is very little if any 2 row produced so we have to "import" it from out of state. I understand that one of the Bozeman breweries sells bulk grain more reasonably so I will have to look into that. Montanaandy

My malt is shipped from Europe, and it is $35 per 55# sack... origin cant justify some pricing is all I am saying.

$59 for 50# unmilled Brewer's 2-row from the LHBS 10 minutes away. Ick. I can almost get 50# of Rahr *shipped* from Rebel Brewer for that.

waldoar15 were in Ohio are your buying your grains? I live in Columbus and as IrregularPulse stated earlier we have nowhere with that kind of pricing.

$50 for a 23pound (50kg) bag.
Its the first time Ive been gratefull to SABMiller.

50 kg is 110lbs and 23lbs is 10.5kg. If it's the former, you're getting a great price. If it's the latter, that's not so good.

Umm, I think he meant $50 for 23kg (50#) bag, as 23 kilograms = 50.6 pounds.

Domestic 2-Row goes for $1.25/lb so 50lbs would cost $62.50.

UK 2-row goes for $2.00/lb so 50lbs would cost $100.00.

You guys are lucky for how cheap you get your grain.

Domestic 2-Row goes for $1.25/lb so 50lbs would cost $62.50.

UK 2-row goes for $2.00/lb so 50lbs would cost $100.00.

You guys are lucky for how cheap you get your grain.

where are you buying malt where a sack goes for the same price as 50 lbs loose??

Well, I buy my stuff at the LHBS here in Reno. They simply don't give any discounts for buying bulk. And I looked around for buying my stuff online, but shipping just offsets the savings for buying online.

$59 for 50# unmilled Brewer's 2-row from the LHBS 10 minutes away. Ick. I can almost get 50# of Rahr *shipped* from Rebel Brewer for that.

Quoted for truth. I would love to buy bulk, but the local store doesn't make it worth it, and there is no advantage to buying on the internet due to shipping 55# bags of grain.

Large group buy is the only way to go.

Its about $60 for a 50-lb bag of Briess at my lhbs. I'm getting skewered, but I'm stuck unless I grow my own.

I'm not sure if this is anything special or something other stores do. But at my LHBS they let you buy a bag of any grain they have at a bulk price, and they give you a punch card so you don't have to worry about storing it at your house or getting old. It's about $1.00 a pound for domestic two row and wheat.

37$ Canadian 2-row 50# only 3 miles away!!! Place is called barley and hops. Used to just be a liquor store but they added a bunch of home brew stuff.

I'm not sure if this is anything special or something other stores do. But at my LHBS they let you buy a bag of any grain they have at a bulk price, and they give you a punch card so you don't have to worry about storing it at your house or getting old. It's about $1.00 a pound for domestic two row and wheat.[/QUOTE/]

You can get a 50# bag of two row for $45 at Arts. I assume you are talking about the beernut. I did not know they did this. This might be a good way for me to go.

I need to organize a field trip up to brew brothers.... :D
Locally a bag is $45 for great western, and I don't mind paying that honestly. But Maris Otter is $85, and the brew brothers price of ~$55 absolutely makes it worth my while to drive 200 miles round trip (if i'm picking up half a dozen bags).

I'm not sure if this is anything special or something other stores do. But at my LHBS they let you buy a bag of any grain they have at a bulk price, and they give you a punch card so you don't have to worry about storing it at your house or getting old. It's about $1.00 a pound for domestic two row and wheat.[/QUOTE/]

You can get a 50# bag of two row for $45 at Arts. I assume you are talking about the beernut. I did not know they did this. This might be a good way for me to go.

Yeah I was talking about the beer nut. I know you can do it with all of there base malts not sure about specialty grains but don't see why not.

Old, but still a good thread. $40 for 50# of Euromalt with my club discount. Not too shabby IMO.

I don't know what the new grain prices released last week Friday will do to what I have been paying at Perfect Brewing North of Chicago, but I typically have paid $36-40 for 50# of domestic malts.

For Simspons, Weyermann, and Crisp base malts I have paid in the $60-65 per 55# sack.

Back