when did "alot" become a word?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've decided to become very pissed off about "alot". Not a lot. I don't have all that much to be pissed off about. Not a lot pisses me off, really. Just alot.

life is too short to get pissed about alot of nothing.

No, that's fine.

I guess I sincerely wonder if people actually think alot is a word. If it's just some goofy internet shorthand, fine, but I don't think so. I think it's much like the misuse of apostrophe national disaster we're going through.

Irregardless, alot of people use it, so you should just accept it. Of course, this can lead to alot of frustration.

if you understand the meaning, in other words, the idea is being communicated, then i cant really get all worked up about the spelling/punctuation/etc. if i were writing a novel for publication, perhaps id take more time and make a greater effort to deliver perfect prose. but for an internet forum im not really looking to be graded.

i sort of find these "this pisses me off" threads sort of self-serving, because generally, while they may appear at first glance to be genuinely about something of annoyance, experience has shown they are also often thinly veiled soapboxes for judgement, ridicule and self-congratulatory behavior. ;)

if you understand the meaning, in other words, the idea is being communicated, then i cant really get all worked up about the spelling/punctuation/etc. if i were writing a novel for publication, perhaps id take more time and make a greater effort to deliver perfect prose. but for an internet forum im not really looking to be graded.

i sort of find these "this pisses me off" threads sort of self-serving, because generally, while they may appear at first glance to be genuinely about something of annoyance, experience has shown they are also often thinly veiled soapboxes for judgement, ridicule and self-congratulatory behavior. ;)

I see you have put alot of thought into this. Irregardless, alot of people care about this sort of thing.

:ban:

Well, I decided to google image search "alot" for something witty and found this.

misspelling-it-still-matters-alot-demotivational-poster.jpg

Related...no. But funny.

Back