When do you buy gas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

God Emporer BillyBrew

Reaction score
I have one of those big cast iron tanks. Not sure how to measure it, but it's about two and a half feet tall and six or eight inches around. It wasn't even completely full when I hooked it up, but I've got about 10 kegs worth out of it.

It started out on 800 lbs and it's now down to about 250. The reason I ask if I should buy gas is that it seems like I'm not hearing it shoot gas into my kegs when I dispense a beer. Plus my beer seems a little undercarbed.

I've got one of those two dial regulators that show tank pressure and keg pressure. I've got it set on 12 psi.

Welding shop. They'll fill your CO2 tank no problem. Check your yellow pages.

:mug:

JoeRags said:
Welding shop. They'll fill your CO2 tank no problem. Check your yellow pages.

:mug:
thanks man, but wrong W. I'm trying to figure out if I should buy it.

I've got a place that will supposedly fill it for fifteen bucks.

Be sure to weigh it before you take it to get it filled, then weigh it again after it's filled. It will give you a benchmark to work from later.

it sounds like you are running very low on your tank now, if it isn't already empty. have you tried disconnecting the regulator to see if the high pressure gauge reads '0'?

i would say it is time to fill/swap your co2 tank now. (just to make sure though, make sure your valve is open, and your regulator is good)

gnef said:
it sounds like you are running very low on your tank now, if it isn't already empty. have you tried disconnecting the regulator to see if the high pressure gauge reads '0'?

i would say it is time to fill/swap your co2 tank now. (just to make sure though, make sure your valve is open, and your regulator is good)

It did before i hooked it up, but like I said, that was 10 kegs ago. You're saying to make sure it zeros out when there's no pressure, right?

If it's a 20 pound tank, isn't 10 kegs kind of quick to burn through it? I haven't had mine long enough to know the difference, but I've blown through 4 or 5 kegs and barely moved the needle.

he said it wasn't completely full when he started using it.

also, since co2 is stored as a liquid, the high pressure gauge will show the same pressure at a given temperature until all of the liquid has vaporized. when that has happened though, the pressure will drop very quickly, and you are extremely close to empty once the high pressure gauge has started to drop due to no vaporization (as opposed to temperature - if you put your tank in the fridge or something).

yes, i was asking you to make sure that the high pressure gauge reads zero when there is no pressure attached. this is to make sure your regulator is working properly. you can also weigh the tank as someone else suggested. it should be very closet to its tare weight, which if it is listed on your tank, it will be stamped along the neck of the tank (some tanks don't have a tare weight stamped though).

250 psi means all of the liquid has evaporated, you have nothing but gas left. So, you are very close to empty. I buy when I hit the red zone, which is 300 psi.

You can continue dispensing for a while, but if you tried to force carbonate a keg, I don't think you would have enough.

gnef said:
he said it wasn't completely full when he started using it.

also, since co2 is stored as a liquid, the high pressure gauge will show the same pressure at a given temperature until all of the liquid has vaporized. when that has happened though, the pressure will drop very quickly, and you are extremely close to empty once the high pressure gauge has started to drop due to no vaporization (as opposed to temperature - if you put your tank in the fridge or something).

Yep, it had been used before I got it.

sounds like you've nailed where I'm at dead on. Dang, I left the tank at home, and I'm kegging one this weekend. Might have to take a long lunch...

david_42 said:
250 psi means all of the liquid has evaporated, you have nothing but gas left. So, you are very close to empty. I buy when I hit the red zone, which is 300 psi.

You can continue dispensing for a while, but if you tried to force carbonate a keg, I don't think you would have enough.

And I'm going to force carb one this weekend.

co2 Tank pressure gauge = Chevrolet Gas Gauge. They will both read full until you have about a 100000th of a tank left, then they drop like a cinder block.

So I took it by the place this afternoon. He was like, "you're not going to be drinking beer for a while." Huh? It's going to be like a week and a half until it's ready.

Dang. I was hoping to force carb a keg tomorrow. Maybe I'll just use sugar.

Back