When doubling a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

40oz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to make a bigger batch of a Session IPA that I've done before in the past but wondering if I have to do something different when doubling or do I just double?

The original recipe is for bath size of 7 gal (and everything below)
Boil size 8.2 gal @ 60min

10 lbs of 2-row
.6 Crystal 20
.4 Flaked Oats

HOPS
1.2oz Mag @ boil
2oz Amarillo Flame Out
2oz Citra Flame Out
2oz Amarillo 7days
20z Citra 7 days

2 tsp Irish Moss Boil
.5 Yeast Nutrient Primary

My question is I was just going to batch this at 14 gal (Doubling everything), and boil size at 16.40 gallons.....OR, do I boil size at 15.20 gallons for the approx 1 gal burn off rate for a 14 gal batch?

Thank you in advance

If you are boiling in the same pot then the boil off rate per hr should be the same as with your other batches, don't double it. If you are using a larger pot then you need to figure in the boil off rate for that equipment. Same with the mash tun, if it's a single mash then the losses (e.g. tun deadspace) you just count once.

If you are boiling in the same pot then the boil off rate per hr should be the same as with your other batches, don't double it. If you are using a larger pot then you need to figure in the boil off rate for that equipment. Same with the mash tun, if it's a single mash then the losses (e.g. tun deadspace) you just count once.

Thanks for chiming in!

I'm not sure on the boil rate, I'm using a new 20 gal SS Brew Kettle instead of my 15 SS Brew kettle....which I will now be using for my HLT.

My mash tun is a converted keggle, and this is not changing. I'm a little thrown from your mash tun reference of "Just count once".

The last time I did this recipe for mashing I did 11 lbs x 1.5 qrts = 16.4 / 4 = 4.125 Gal. Then fly-sparged the rest in the kettle to the boil volume.

So for this I would just double, or am I having to calculate something else in?

Thanks!

If you're fly sparging then pre-figuring volumes isn't as important, you can just collect your runnings, sparging until you get your boil volume. If you're deadspace isn't that large then yes you can probably just double your mash water with double the grainbill and get about the same mash thickness .
Without a test run you'll have to estimate your boil off. With a larger diameter kettle it will probably be a bit more than your old kettle's boil off. You can always add back some water though if you underestimate.

You might also want to plug into a calculator to see if you need any adjustment to the bittering addition, it might not be exactly double depending on boil volume. Probably close enough though if you don't want to bother.

If you use BeerSmith there is an option to scale the recipe up and it will automatically adjust everything based on your equipment profile.

Back