Who has used fresh Dragonfruit in mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MightyMosin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I saw that a local store has Dragonfruit. I've been curious about using it in a mead, but I have no idea how much you need to actually make a flavor impact.

Like other fruits, I assume that what you add to primary vs secondary aging will produce some very different flavors.

What has been your experience and about how much did you need to use in a given batch size?

where are you finding them?

i ask out of a word of caution - have you ever eaten dragonfruit? from my experience, the fresh red dragonfruit found in typical grocery stores are picked far too prematurely and tastes like practically nothing. I have been told that the yellow fruits are much better, and they are typically put out next ot the red, at least in my store

however, a couple stores here do carry frozen diced dragonfruit, which i think would be a better strategy - frozen fruit from a good source (Whole Foods, or another higher end organic store) is typically picked at it's prime,

Last edited:
The dragon fruit that has flesh like Beet, has incredible flavor and should make it very red!

where are you finding them?

i ask out of a word of caution - have you ever eaten dragonfruit? from my experience, the fresh red dragonfruit found in typical grocery stores are picked far too prematurely and tastes like practically nothing. I have been told that the yellow fruits are much better, and they are typically put out next ot the red, at least in my store

however, a couple stores here do carry frozen diced dragonfruit, which i think would be a better strategy - frozen fruit from a good source (Whole Foods, or another higher end organic store) is typically picked at it's prime,
A local grocery store. As I look at the price of them, I may decide to keep this in the back pocket for another day and focus on the ones that I already have planned.

I have eaten a red dragonfruit with white flesh. It tasted like disappointment. :( I saved some of the seeds and planted them and they grew, so it wasn't a total waste; they are interesting-looking cactus.

I have eaten a red dragonfruit with white flesh. It tasted like disappointment. :( I saved some of the seeds and planted them and they grew, so it wasn't a total waste; they are interesting-looking cactus.
They actually grow into very big plants, Google them, they look really weird!

I grow the red ones and normally we cut them in half and freeze them or dice them for fruit salad. Frozen, it's like a grapey-pear sorbet, maybe a little more tart. As for fermentations, I think the flavor might be too mild and some form of concentrate or powder might be more effective.

Back