Whole Wheat - Can I Brew With This?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ido50

Reaction score
Hi there.

Sorry if this seems a stupid question. As LHBSs in Israel do not carry unmalted wheat, I'm wondering if I can use this stuff (from nature/organic stores) when brewing a recipe with unmalted wheat. Is this what I need (see the attached picture)? Is it missing anything?

20120430_192143.jpg

You need a certain enzyme to convert the sugars in wheat. Wheat does not have this enzyme, so you must use an additional grain to supply enough of the enzyme to convert the wheat too. I am definately not an expert ny any stretch of the imagination and this is a way oversimplified answer but that is the gist of how I understand it so far. I am sure one or two of the brew experts will come along and and spell it out more clearly too. Have a great and wonderfull day, and I hope this helps in some small way.
Wheelchair Bob

Thanks Bob, that much I knew, I was just wondering if this is actually unmalted wheat. Maybe the "unmalted wheat" that is usually used for brewing and sold in LHBSs still undergoes some processes that these whole wheat grains above did not... Or maybe these grains underwent some processes they shouldn't have...

Latest posts

Back