Wild Ferment Smells VERY Fusel, Savable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLump

Reaction score
A couple months back I isolated 10 different wild yeasts from a Mint flower and fermented 10 different 50ml starters with them. There was only one that attenuated well and tasted good. The aroma and flavor were very tropical fruity and I had high hopes for it. I ended up building the selected strain up to a full sized starter and pitched into a 5 gallon batch of 1.056OG Saison wort.

Fermentation has been slow but steady and kept at 70F. Its 14 days later now and I'm at a 1.025 gravity (63% attenuated). I took a whiff and HOLY CRAP it is fusel as hell. I mean singe your freaking nostrils fusel. I guess I'm wondering if I'm screwed or not. Do fusel alcohols break down over time?

It sounds like you know a lot more about yeast than me but my advice would be to just ignore the beer for the first month.
Would be keen to hear how it goes though.

It sounds like you know a lot more about yeast than me.

Haha. Not really I've just been following this guy's videos. Good stuff if you ever want to get in to yeast wrangling.

So I took the fermenter out of my heating chamber, which was kept at 70deg, and for the last few days its been kept at 60 deg in my basement. Fermentation has increased alot with renewed airlock activity and krausen. Checked the gravity and it has indeed increased its fermentation rate. So I guess the yeast that I happened to have selected is happier at cool temps, hence the fusel production.

I guess I'll just rack it to a secondary and wait it out.

Back