Will Reflectix Melt in an Electric Kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScubaSteve

Reaction score
I think the title speaks for itself.....I'll be firing my BK with electricity and would like to insulate the outside with reflectix, but it's only rated to 180F. Anyone use it on their electric BK, and if so, did it melt? :confused:

A bit of background, I plan on using this for a single vessel BIAB style rig where the MLT is also used as the BK.

Funny, I never thought about putting it there. I have a big roll of it and I've only wrapped it around my MT.

Mr. Scuba (can I call you Steve?), why are you wrapping your boil kettle? You might get slightly faster boil times. But I get boil overs fairly frequently and the reflectix would be one more thing to clean.

My MLT has reflectix but my BK does not. Sorry couldn't help more.

I don't know if it's worth it. How much of an energy cost saving would you gain? $.02. But that's just MY $.02. The MLT reflectix is there more to regulate temps in a vessel that doesn't have the elements ON the whole time it's in use, I think.

I use a similar product from the EU on my boiler. It also doubles as my MLT as I do BIAB.

I have a double layer of it on the boiler, and it reduced my getting to boil time by 33% and works a charm from the MLT side of things, the outside of the kettle only gets warm now as previously it would've been boiling.

http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/productdetail.aspx?pid=8750&loc=P&catid=103.3

That's the stuff I use, I think it's the same product anyway.

I've been looking at this stuff. Anybody try it?

41NV6JGCWML._SS400_.jpg

Product Features

• Helps To Eliminate Heat; Cold; Moisture And Noise
  • Hi Grade Aluminum Laminated To Fiber Tech Padding
  • Great For Floorboards/Engine Compartments etc.
  • Size: 4 ft x 6 ft
  • Alumfoil Coated With High Tack High Temp Adhesive
  • Heat Shield Insulation
  • 4 ft. X 6 ft.

I think the title speaks for itself.....I'll be firing my BK with electricity and would like to insulate with reflectix, but it's only rated to 180F. Anyone use it on their electric BK, and if so, did it melt? :confused:

I wouldn't put it in the kettle. I'd keep it on the outside. :cross:

It is rated to 180F, but it passed the "Hot Surface Test", whatever that is...

I wouldn't put it in the kettle. I'd keep it on the outside. :cross:

It is rated to 180F, but it passed the "Hot Surface Test", whatever that is...

Guess I misunderstood... I thought he was making mittens. :D

Sorry guys....I should be more clear. I plan on wrapping the outside with it. It'll be for a single vessel BIAB style rig....the MLT and BK are the same vessel. I can see that the reflectix I bought is kinda plasticky....I'd hate to be scraping that crap off if it melts :D

Sorry guys....I should be more clear. I plan on wrapping the outside with it. It'll be for a single vessel BIAB style rig....the MLT and BK are the same vessel. I can see that the reflectix I bought is kinda plasticky....I'd hate to be scraping that crap off if it melts :D

Take a piece and put it in boiling water to see how it holds up...
The outside of your BK should not get above boiling temp.

I don't think it will melt and get sticky at these temps???

Ed

I have it on the outside of mine with no problems. I also use mine as a HLT as it's a brutus 20 system. I like it too because it protects me. I can hold my hand on it all day long and not burn myself. I use my HEX as a chiller as well and do notice that it takes a while to get to pitching temp. It's holding the heat in the wort and not using the sides of the keg as a radiator. For this reason I've been tossing around the idea of getting rid of it. Not to mention i have spent lots of time polishing them. You'll be fine with it.

i've got reflectix wrapped around the outside of my eletric boil kettle, too. It works fine.

edit: It has not melted or stuck to the kettle. I made my reflectix into a sleeve, like a big beer coozie. I can slide it on and off, and i've taken it off a few times to clean after a boil over, so I know that the inner part of the sleeve is in good shape.

I
I've been looking at this stuff. Anybody try it?

41NV6JGCWML._SS400_.jpg

Product Features

• Helps To Eliminate Heat; Cold; Moisture And Noise
  • Hi Grade Aluminum Laminated To Fiber Tech Padding
  • Great For Floorboards/Engine Compartments etc.
  • Size: 4 ft x 6 ft
  • Alumfoil Coated With High Tack High Temp Adhesive
  • Heat Shield Insulation
  • 4 ft. X 6 ft.

That's not a bad idea....I'd use the excess to cover my water smoker!

I used some normal fiberglass insulation on my boil kettle one time. One time only. Had a boilover, fiberglass soaked up lots of hoppy residue, trash.

Lesson learned: don't use anything on the boil pot that isn't easily cleaned.

Lesson learned: don't use anything on the boil pot that isn't easily cleaned.

Agreed. I boiled over the first 3 times I brewed in my electric kettle. Thankfully, the reflectix cleans up pretty easily and since I made it a removable sleeve, it was a piece of cake to slide it off, hose it down, and wipe it clean. Then I could just slide it back on.

I haven't had a boilover since I started using FermCap....<knocks on wood>.....

Since I have reflectix sitting in the garage, I think I'm going to start with that.....and if it ain't broke, I won't fix it. The only thing is, I think I'll do the sleeve like others have said....I just don't like the look of the bulky, taped up MLT's...I want a clean solution if at all possible.

I haven't had a boilover since I started using FermCap....<knocks on wood>.....

Since I have reflectix sitting in the garage, I think I'm going to start with that.....and if it ain't broke, I won't fix it. The only thing is, I think I'll do the sleeve like others have said....I just don't like the look of the bulky, taped up MLT's...I want a clean solution if at all possible.

I didn't tape my mashtun. I have a piece of reflectix cut to wrap around, then I have a big loop of elastic material that I wrap around it twice like a rubber band. After brewday, I roll it up and stick it into the keggle.

Sorry guys....didn't mean to offend! Not ALL taped up vessels look bad....EoinMag, yours is pretty nice....geez I wish we had 220v standard here!

Back