Will this work - Yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpuf

Reaction score
I have a porter recipe that includes molassis and unsweetened chocolate. I really enjoy it, but this time around I'd like it to be a little dryer and pack a little more punch. Rather then mess with the other ingredients, I thought I'd toss in a packet of champage yeast about midway through fermentation. My gut says that should do the trick, but I've been wrong before. Any thoughts?

Thanks

It will work but I think it may lend a cidery flavor at the end. I would recommend using Nottingham, yeast nutrient, and aerate the hell out of the wort. Also, add the molasses near the end of the boil as well as any DME or LME to lessen the caramelizing of the sugars so as to have more fermentables.

:tank:

another possibility to consider is changing the type of molasses without changing the volume, there are several different types with different amounts of fermentables/unfermentables.

What yeast are you using now? Consider a more standard higher attenuating yeast prior to a Champagne strain, it could leave you with a bone dry recipe of yick.

Latest posts

Back