withholding malt extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
what are the positives and negatives to leaving a good portion of your extract until the last 15 minutes or so of the boil...

Explain.

Positves- lighter color, less risk of caramelizing the extract

Negative(and not really that negative)- It affects your hop utilization, so you have to adjust your recipe accordingly

EDIT: Tenchiro types faster than me

How about just boiling the hops in water? Then adding the malt extract for even lighter colours?

How about just boiling the hops in water? Then adding the malt extract for even lighter colours?

You need the sugars and enzymes that the extract provides in the water for proper hop utilization. I have found that one pound of DME is generally sufficient for this.

Negative(and not really that negative)- It affects your hop utilization, so you have to adjust your recipe accordingly
Yeah, I would call it more of a side note than a negative - your hop utilization goes way up, so you can use a lot less hops than the partial boil recipe called for, which is definitely good in these times of high hop prices!

Back