WLP 400 for ipa?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tellyho

Reaction score
To be clear, I have already made this beer. So I'm just curious if anyone else has used this yeast for an IPA? Either way, I'll report on my experiment. Had the yeast cake from a wit and just got it done.

I've only ever used WLP400 for Belgian Wit. I don't think that would work for an IPA. I am interested to hear the results.

Yes, I imagine it will throw off some flavor. I'm guessing most of it will be obscured by the large amount of hops.

I think you could consider it a Belgian IPA and yes there would be esters, but I think it would work OK. 400 has a tart flavor (at least with a high percentage of wheat in the grist) that would blend with American hops IMO.

Taste at 2+ weeks, before dry hops, was pretty tasty. Drier than s05/1056/01 might have produced. I'll update when I bottle.

I have a feeling that a lot of "non-standard" yeasts will do very well in an IPA if the brewer understands what comes from said yeast and knows how to make things happen.

Tart can work with an IPA if not too strong. I would be inclined to use a lot of Citra/ElDorado in whirlpool and dry hop. Tartness would be a subtext and should compliment fruity citrus. Just ferment lower and keep phenols in check.

Last edited:
I was definitely careful to keep things cool, or at least not hot when fermenting. Initial impression was good - definitely on the dry side. I generally like a little residual sweetness to balance the hops, but I think this will work out. Used mosaic and lemon drop as dry hops, with some azacca. In bottles now, will update with tasting notes once it's carbonated.

I've used WLP400 for non-witbiers several times. It does produce small amounts of the typical Belgian phenols. Also it produces a pear-like fruity ester. I think it is a great match for an IPA. Go for it.

Reviving thread. I went ahead and made an IPA with this strain. Kept the fermentation low to suppress the yeast a bit.

Went with 80% pils malt, 15% red wheat, 5% carahell.

Citra, mosaic, 2 oz fresh orange peel @ 5

Worked out very nice.

Glad to hear it! I feel like almost any yeast could do the ipa job at this point. Hops hide a lot.

Latest posts

Back