WLP 565 Stuck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yard_bird

Reaction score
First stuck fermentation is causing me grief:

20% Vienna
10% Munich
30% Rye
40% Pilz

If I’m being honest, I forgot to take the temperature of the mash, but my strike temp was 162F and I usually drop 10 degrees. Mashed 90’ and then ran off. Boiled 75’ and chilled. Pitched two week old WLP 565 around 65 degrees and let it ramp up to 70. OG: 1.040.

Gravity a week ago was 1.014 which surprised me because the last time I made something like this I got over 85% attenuation. So I brewed up a small batch of Belgian table beer (OG: 1.044) and split a smack pack of Wyeast 3787 between the table beer and the stuck beer.

3787 ripped through the table beer (should have used a blow off tube) but the recipe outlined above is still at 1.014.

As I see it, my options are:

*Throw some brett on the stuck beer and forget about it for a while.

*Add a fruit purée/ dextrose full of simple sugars so that the yeast can chomp on that and hopefully leave 1.014 tasting not as sweet as it is.

*Add cold brew coffee hoping the bitterness balances the sweetness.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Does it taste overly sweet to you? I'd be more inclined to go the brett route but that's because I love brett saisons. I very rarely brew the same beer twice but one that I do is a rye saison that gets brett-c added in secondary. I let it sit with the brett for about 4 months before packaging. I find that brett-c gives it more of a tropical fruit flavor and less of the funk than other strains.

I used Wyeast 3724 last time and it stalled at ~1.030 for a few weeks. I needed to free up the fermenter and I was getting impatient so I racked it into a secondary carboy with the brett and the brett took it down to like 1.002 or something.

Instead of fruit puree you could always add a pound of honey (assuming a 5 gallon batch). I'd only be hesitant to add more sugar in case the yeast really has crapped out and then you'd be left with an even more sweet tasting beer.

I'd definitely avoid coffee in a saison. I feel like there's a reason i've never heard of a coffee infused saison. Those flavors don't seem to mesh well at all haha.

Back