Working through a Hazy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleev-les

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewing a hazy. Added first hops to fermenter at 24 hours after pitching. Went well. Pulled a sample about 3 days later. So far so good. Added 2nd addition 5 days after the first. Pulled sample and was green. Question is will everything settle without a cold crash or should I cold crash at the end of fermentation to drop the hops sediment out.

Ideally, it would be best to cold crash before kegging to assure the yeast is flocced and the hop debris is settled. Not the end of the world if you don't, but if there is a lot of hob debris still in suspension, it can clog the diptube.

Personally, I don't cold crash. I dry hop about 24 hours before kegging, and when I transfer, I use an autosiphon and try my best to leave the debris in the bottom of the fermenter. When you stick your keg in the fridge, the debris will start to settle. If you wait a few days, pour off about a half a pint and most of the debris comes out with that pour.

This is why I use bags for dry hopping. Using a large enough bag to allow the hops to do their thing and not worry about clogging anything while kegging.

Ideally, it would be best to cold crash before kegging to assure the yeast is flocced and the hop debris is settled. Not the end of the world if you don't, but if there is a lot of hob debris still in suspension, it can clog the diptube.

Personally, I don't cold crash. I dry hop about 24 hours before kegging, and when I transfer, I use an autosiphon and try my best to leave the debris in the bottom of the fermenter. When you stick your keg in the fridge, the debris will start to settle. If you wait a few days, pour off about a half a pint and most of the debris comes out with that pour.

I would be. I'm using a spike CF5 and have the temp kit so would remove the blowoff tube, add a few psi of pressure to keep it positive and use the temp control kit to crash it for 48ish hours.

This is why I use bags for dry hopping. Using a large enough bag to allow the hops to do their thing and not worry about clogging anything while kegging.

I use bags (really a cage) in my flex+ but in the conical blocks the dump tube.

I would be. I'm using a spike CF5 and have the temp kit so would remove the blowoff tube, add a few psi of pressure to keep it positive and use the temp control kit to crash it for 48ish hours.

I use bags (really a cage) in my flex+ but in the conical blocks the dump tube.
So then crash and transfer. That will leave the most debris behind in the fermenter.

Latest posts

Back