Wort souring - aeration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christophrawr

Reaction score
Hello!

I am attempting my first berliner weisse with souring in primary. I am using WLP672 L Brevis and currently have the carboy in the fermentation chamber incubating at 90F for a couple days to give it a head start.

My question is about the effects or significance an aerated wort may have on the lacto. I think I understand that I shouldn't aerate my wort when pitching the lacto but I did use a funnel to pour into the carboy which definitely aerated my wort some. Maybe not enough to matter? Anywho let me know your thoughts, advice. Once I pitch the sach in a couple days I imagine then it's ok to shake and aerate?

Many thanks.

Lacto is aerotolerant. Oxygen has no effect on it. Nothing to worry about there.

However, oxidation of the wort may be a concern.

Go ahead and aerate when you pitch the yeast.

Cheers

Aerate as much as you can before pitching yeast, however, not before lacto. Lacto prefers no oxygen, and if it's been aerated, and your sanitation isn't perfect, you may support the growth of things other than your lacto pitch and end up with the sweaty sock/dirty diaper smells. If you can use a stone to aerate, then boil it afterwards, or shake the heck out of it before pitching yeast, your fermentation will be stronger.

Aerate as much as you can before pitching yeast, however, not before lacto. Lacto prefers no oxygen, and if it's been aerated, and your sanitation isn't perfect, you may support the growth of things other than your lacto pitch and end up with the sweaty sock/dirty diaper smells. If you can use a stone to aerate, then boil it afterwards, or shake the heck out of it before pitching yeast, your fermentation will be stronger.
All species of Lactobacillus are facultative anaerobes, meaning they are perfectly fine with or without oxygen.

If your sanitation is poor and you didn't pre-acidify, other microbes can create off-flavors whether or not there's oxygen (obligate anaerobes can be bad too).

Greatly appreciated info. I did mash at 5.2ph then used lactic acid to drop it down to 4.1 before pitching the Lactobacillus culture. I even tried to squirt a little co2 in the head space using a small cartridge I had for pressurized growlers.

RDWHAHB

You have done everything right, relax. Taking the ph down was just an extra step that I have found is not necessary.

You may find it takes more than a couple of days to reach the sourness you want. Taste it before adding the yeast. I've found it can take 5 to 7 days to sour.

Back