Would Common Sense please report to the principal's office

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

menschmaschine

Reaction score
What the F is going on with this? First it was the cake knife incident of a month or so ago, now this. When I was a kid, I brought nunchucks and throwing stars to school and all I got was a talkin' to.

Pa. middle school expels teen with eyebrow shaver

May 21, 9:18 PM (ET)

PENN HILLS, Pa. (AP) - A Pittsburgh-area teenager has been suspended from middle school when a random search turned up an eyebrow shaver in her handbag. Officials at Linton Middle School in Penn Hills recommended at a Wednesday disciplinary hearing that 15-year-old be expelled for the rest of this year and 45 days next year.

The teen said she doesn't consider the eyebrow trimmer a weapon. She fears expulsion will hurt her chances of becoming a nurse-anesthetist. She's a Girl Scout and a member of the school's basketball team, choir and leadership team.

The school released a statement saying it has a standard disciplinary policy that addresses all students equally. The girl's mother said she doesn't believe her daughter has been given a chance.

I think those school officials should be expelled for the rest of this year and the remainder of their pathetic little lives. ****ing ********!

i got caught with a rambo survival knife in 2nd grade my parents still dont know about it.

Those school officials need to pull their heads out of their a$$es, and breathe some fresh air for a while.

That is just about the stupidest thing I have heard in a long time.

This is absolutely absurd. When I was a kid, expelled meant you're done. No coming back. You didn't get to come back next week, month or year. Freakin liberal BS if you ask me.

This is absolutely absurd. When I was a kid, expelled meant you're done. No coming back. You didn't get to come back next week, month or year. Freakin liberal BS if you ask me.

there's nothing liberal about it, it's just stupid people being stupid.

Yeah, I don't know where things are headed.

Here's a funny story... Back in 1992 I was in the Marines stationed in CA and home on leave in PA. I wanted to take my hunting guns back to CA to do some hunting there... a Remington 870 pump 12 gauge and a Winchester Model 70 30-06 bolt action rifle with a scope.

I didn't have a gun case for them, but I understood you could buy them at the airport from the airline. So I walked into ABE (Allentown Bethlehem Easton) Airport with a shotgun in one hand and a rifle in the other. I might have got a glance or two but nobody seemed alarmed. I think if I did that today I would be tackled. Maybe I'm getting old, but 1992 doesn't seem that long ago.

They really need to rethink the size and type of weapon that is allowed in school. When I was a kid, everyone had pocket knives. Anything under two inches is a toy IMO.

I feel naked if I don't have my little swiss army with flashlight, screwdriver, blade, scissors, pen, and file. I use it practically every day for opening things, cutting things, or using the screwdriver. Nice size for most computer screws.

I remember kids at school comparing throwing stars. Some were bought, some were made. Butterfly knives were popular for a while.

I agree this is ridiculous, but unfortunately, this is where are schools have to be almost with the way kids are. You're constantly hearing of stabbings and shootings in schools. and the time they don't do anything is the time where someone gets stabbed with one of these things, and then needs to get 3 stiches!

How they handled it was retarded though, Tell the kid, "look, we know it's not a big deal and you're a good kid, but since the country we live in a PC nightmare, Please leave that and everything else with a metal edge at home. Trim your eyebrows at home in the morning. Don't take it out of your purse today or we'll have to give you an after-school detention. Now get back to class."

Obituary of the late Mr. Common Sense

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as: Knowing when to come in out of the rain; Why the early bird gets the worm; Life isn't always fair; and Maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but
overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6 -year- old boy
charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children. It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer Tylenol, sun lotion or a band-aid to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became
contraband; churches became businesses; and criminals received better
treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to
realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her
lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement. Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents , Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason.

He is survived by his 3 stepbrothers; I Know My Rights, Someone Else Is To Blame, and I'm A Victim.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone.

537558764_98a0cb935f.jpg

I'm wearing a black armband today.

I agree this is ridiculous, but unfortunately, this is where are schools have to be almost with the way kids are. You're constantly hearing of stabbings and shootings in schools. and the time they don't do anything is the time where someone gets stabbed with one of these things, and then needs to get 3 stiches!

No. That's just not true. Saying it doesn't make it more true, either.

In some areas it is true, that schools are much more dangerous and kids less well behaved than then used to be. In other cases (probably the majority) it is more a problem of people looking for others to blame. Schools are afraid if they don't have these rules and enforce them strictly then they will be held to blame for any problems that might occur.

But how about a little common sense here. Confiscate the offending "weapon" and a warning would have been appropriate. A detention as a warning would be a little excessive but not outrageous. A suspension or expulsion is ridiculous!!!!!

Craig

For real. I mean yeah, schools should probably be more strict, but expelling a 15 year old girl scout for simply possessing a piece of grooming equipment is absurd to say the least. I mean, if she had it out and was threatening someone with it...fine...that at least sort of makes sense; but just having it on your person means you get suspended (if she got expelled she wouldn't be back ever) for the rest of the year and two months of the next year??? Come on.

In my high school missing the end of the year would have meant failing that year. Missing 45 days of the next semester would have meant failing that year as well (miss 10 days, automatic failure policy.)

This is insanity.

If they would have given it back to her and 2 periods later she would have stabbed someone with it (lot of f'ed up kids out there) then everyone would be blaming the school for allowing it to happen instead of blaming the school for taking it away. The blame would never be put on the parents or even the kid mostly for doing it. This is the country we live in.

For real. I mean yeah, schools should probably be more strict, but expelling a 15 year old girl scout for simply possessing a piece of grooming equipment is absurd to say the least. I mean, if she had it out and was threatening someone with it...fine...that at least sort of makes sense; but just having it on your person means you get suspended (if she got expelled she wouldn't be back ever) for the rest of the year and two months of the next year??? Come on.

If you two read my whole post, you'll see I agree that expulsion for this was ridiculous and that I said a simple "Don't bring this back to school, you can pick it up at the end of the day" would have sufficed. I no where agreed that expulsion was reasonable. Just as a school they have to protect themselves from the same parents that would have jumped at the chance to sue them if there kid got a scrape on his arm from this thing.

Back