Would this work as a thermostat for a mini-fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cap'n Jewbeard

Reaction score
I have one of those small-ish Sanyo mini-fridges that we all get to use for a kegerator, though I've never converted it. I'd like to use it for things like lagering (or, honestly, just to be able to ferment ales at a proper temperature...)

Is the Johnson Controls one [This one]the cheapest given that I am unable/unwilling to mess around with wiring?

I was going to get this plug-in one but then I realized it has no probe, so it would have to go inside the fridge somehow...

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Yep. That analog controller works fine for cooling control. I used one for a couple of years. If you don't want to wire it yourself, the pre-wired is your only option. Although it's not terribly difficult to wire one exactly like the one you linked to. In fact, there is a thread here on exactly how to do it. Just search Johnson controller. You can pick up Johnson analogs on ebay on the cheap, add some wire, an outlet and you're set.

Back