Wow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I Think the cheaper cuts of meats are the tastier cuts of meat. I've done over 20 years of testing on this theory. So much so that so that some of the bits of "meat" that I eat make people say "yuck"

I've sepnt the last few months trying to find a butcher that can supply me with what I want. Last week I found a commercial butcher that can cut me what ever I want.

Tonight's meal has been in the oven at 120F for 28 hours.

Beef cheeks in a vegetable and red wine and herb reduction with butter potatoes.

hence the tile. WOW!

This is true, have a friend going to culinary school, an the cheapest meats are the most flavorful but at times also the leaner varieties. Cook them slow and long... Crockpots anyone?

This is true, have a friend going to culinary school, an the cheapest meats are the most flavorful but at times also the leaner varieties. Cook them slow and long... Crockpots anyone?

Yep, that is why I cook moose and other wild game low and slow.
All the same I do love me a prime rib on the bbq.

Beef cheeks are delicious.

So are salmon cheeks. Perhaps the tastiest part of the fish. It has the consistency of beef and the flavor of salmon. MMMMM!!!

Beef cheeks are delicious.

So are salmon cheeks. Perhaps the tastiest part of the fish. It has the consistency of beef and the flavor of salmon. MMMMM!!!

Hmmm never had salmon cheeks, but cod cheeks, cod heads and cod tongues are a normal meal for people my age around here who grew up eating such delights.
Mainlanders who visit often screw up their nose at such a meal, and leave without ever tasting such a tasty part of the fish.
Native Nflders eat a variety of things from the sea that a lot of mainlanders wouldn't eat, and we would also probably turn up our nose at a lot of things from the sea that mainlanders woud pay a lot for. Cavier for instance.
If you only seen where it came from ,lol.

120, huh? Enjoy your foodborne parasites.

Negative.
As long as he did not puncture the outside of the meat it is perfectly safe to cook meat this slow. 28 hours is a long time, but...
If you enjoy prime rib at a restaurant you should know that done well (not well done), it is cooked at about 250F for however long it takes the meat to reach 120F then it is held there, for hours, until you come along and order it. It is amazing the things that can be done to beef with no ill effects.
If you happen to be an Ecoli fraidy-cat and order your prime past medium, do the kitchen and yourself a favor and order a Rib Eye.

The out side of the meat is seared to remove any exterior bacteria.
It's then cooked at such a low temperature to allow all the fat to melt into the meat and makes it has tasty and succulent as a cut 10 times it's cost.
When served it's heated to 140f. This doesn't toughen it at all.

Known fact: English people worry about meat being too dry. American people worry about meat being undercooked. (especially the xmas turkey)

I gotta say I just LOVE American beef! on the minus side,I love it because of the steroids and genetic engineering that makes it illegal in the rest of the world.....But it tastes soooo fooking good! :)

Known fact: English people worry about meat being too dry. American people worry about meat being undercooked. (especially the xmas turkey)

I gotta say I just LOVE American beef! on the minus side,I love it because of the steroids and genetic engineering that makes it illegal in the rest of the world.....But it tastes soooo fooking good! :)

I agree, a lot of americans overcook the **** out of their food.

Any chance of a recipe for those beef cheeks, I've got a good farm nearby and have gotten into the habit of buying alot of the lesser cuts from their cows and swine. Never cooked beef cheeks but it sounds delicious.

So yeah, hook it up with a recipe with all those crazy metric measurements!

I agree, a lot of americans overcook the **** out of their food.

Fear based on misinformation, at least with beef. Ecoli scares people but what they don't understand is it is only a problem with ground beef. Ecoli lives on the surface of meat. When you sear a steak , as Orfy said, the bacteria is eliminated. When you grind contaminated meat into hamburger, the outsides of the meat are turned into the middle so not cooking all the way through becomes problem. Couple this with the fact that most ground beef is frozen, the potential for improper handling goes up dramatically because it is taken through the danger zone a number of times.
And... most of the meat thermometers we sell at work are considerably off the mark for proper temperature. Most indicate 140F for rare which is 20F too high. Thus, those who know no better and use these therms are overcooking.

Poultry on the other hand should not be ignored. 165F if you please. Every time. No exceptions.

Braising a cheap cut of meat, preferably one with a high fat content, allows the internal temperature to reach well over what is considered well done when dry roasting which breaks down the fibers of the meat making it tender. Crock pots rule.

Quality meat means no food borne illenss (most the time, at least). Buy crappy meat, expect to get sick if it's undercooked.

I love quality cuts of meat...however I find it's difficult to cook and prepare them in a way that makes them taste good. Low quality cuts are easy to make good - just cook them low and slow for a long while and they'll be delicious.

Another problem I've found is that some people cut their steaks the wrong way. Cut against the grain so you have 'short hairs' on your cut piece. This makes it easier to chew. If you cut with the grain it'll feel like a tire in your mouth.

Hmmm never had salmon cheeks, but cod cheeks, cod heads and cod tongues are a normal meal for people my age around here who grew up eating such delights.
Mainlanders who visit often screw up their nose at such a meal, and leave without ever tasting such a tasty part of the fish.
Native Nflders eat a variety of things from the sea that a lot of mainlanders wouldn't eat, and we would also probably turn up our nose at a lot of things from the sea that mainlanders woud pay a lot for. Cavier for instance.
If you only seen where it came from ,lol.

Heart's Delight eh? Nice. Maybe you have a pairing for one of my regional favourites that also cooks low and slow: flippers?

There is nothing new in the world of food. This is why i'm always amazed when people in Philly think they have invented something by marrying steak with cheese. Get over yourselves Philly! ;)

Negative.
As long as he did not puncture the outside of the meat it is perfectly safe to cook meat this slow. 28 hours is a long time, but...
If you enjoy prime rib at a restaurant you should know that done well (not well done), it is cooked at about 250F for however long it takes the meat to reach 120F then it is held there, for hours, until you come along and order it. It is amazing the things that can be done to beef with no ill effects.
If you happen to be an Ecoli fraidy-cat and order your prime past medium, do the kitchen and yourself a favor and order a Rib Eye.

One of my favorite dishes is Kobe Beef Carpachio. Razor thin slices of raw beef in a delicious sauce. The only danger with raw meat comes from poor handling, and mass production. our society has just been scared into thinking there's something to be afraid of. Seems to be a common theme in our society......

One of my favorite dishes is Kobe Beef Carpachio. Razor thin slices of raw beef in a delicious sauce. The only danger with raw meat comes from poor handling, and mass production. our society has just been scared into thinking there's something to be afraid of. Seems to be a common theme in our society......

The sauce I am guessing has a high level of acid and suger, both of which prevent bacteria from multipying.

Mass production isn't in itself a danger even though bad things happen; what happens from production to your table is what one should be worried about.

Any chance of a recipe for those beef cheeks, I've got a good farm nearby and have gotten into the habit of buying alot of the lesser cuts from their cows and swine. Never cooked beef cheeks but it sounds delicious.

So yeah, hook it up with a recipe with all those crazy metric measurements!

No written recipe.
Like most of the things I cook it's in my head.

Here's a cople of recipes.

The second is closest. You do need to cook long and slow and pull the cheeks out so you can remove the fat.

=======
Beef cheeks

Other Names: Guancia (Italian), joue (French), jowl, mejilla or cachete (Spanish).
General Description: Beef cheeks are rich morsels of dense, finely grained meat. Along with veal cheeks, beef cheeks are being featured on trendy restaurant menus, especially those serving French bistro cuisine. Quite inexpensive, beef cheeks can be found either by special order or in ethnic meat markets and are usually frozen. Cheeks are always braised, and they reheat beautifully.
Part of Animal: The cheeks are the muscles on either side of the cheekbones.
Characteristics: Cheeks are rich and dense-fleshed with a fine grain and a layer of silvery white connective tissue running through the middle.
How to Choose: Buy well-trimmed beef cheeks.
Amount to Buy: Allow two trimmed beef cheeks per person.
Storage: If frozen, defrost in the refrigerator. If fresh, store up to 2 days refrigerated.
Preparation:
  1. Trim any exterior gristle off the cheeks. It is not necessary to trim the silverskin, which runs horizontally through the middle and cooks up tender.
  2. Marinate overnight refrigerated up to 2 days in red wine, seasonings, and cut-up aromatic vegetables. Drain the meat, reserving the liquid and vegetables.
  3. Pat dry and brown the cheeks in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, cover with the vegetables and marinade from step 2, and then cover.
  4. Bring to a boil and braise, partially covered with liquid, for at least 3 hours at low temperature (300°F), or until fork tender.
  5. Allow the cheeks to cool in the liquid to firm.
  6. When cool, remove the cheeks, strain the cooking liquid, if desired, and boil till syrupy. Reheat cheeks in sauce before serving.
Flavor Affinities: Bay leaves, celeriac, chives, cinnamon, cloves, garlic, horseradish, red wine, tarragon, thyme, tomatoes.

=================================

Braised Beef cheeks Recipe

TIME/SERVINGS
Total: 6-24hrs depends on what you want
Makes: about 5 serves

By podge
Now this dish takes a while to cook so i have set it out over 2 days but as stated you are able to do it n about 6-8 from start to dine, I have added some extra ideas as i do this on a Sat for Sunday Lunch with a charcoal grilled rib eye on the bone BBQ Dinner in between!!!
I love slow coooking and make all kinds of things in the cooker this is a no hard fast rules ecipe how ever the sauce steps shoould be follwed for a gourmet style meal

INGREDIENTS
  • Speaking of the braised beef cheeks throw this lot into a slow cooker and get ready for one of the best meals you can make and it only takes like 6 hrs!!! (possibly 24 really)
    2-3kg trimmed beef cheeks 2 tablespoons coco powder 3 pints of Indian pale ale (beer) probably make that 6 of the little creatures and whack 3 in the fridge to consume when cooking 1 litre beef stock (home made or say continental is fine) 2 carrots peeled and fine diced 2 large celery sticks fine diced 2 brown onions fine diced 1 head garlic peeled only Toss all this in the slow cooker and ensure the beef cheeks are covered with liquid, if they are not then put more beer in until they are. Turn the slow cooker onto LOW mix it up a little whack the lid on and walk away, have a little creatures Indian Pale Ale watch the Rugby Union or some sport lite the Charcoal fired BBQ and cook some large rib eye on the bone whilst having another couple of Indian Pale Ales and maybe a fairly large ballsy Cab Sav and then come back in 5 hrs. The beef cheeks should be soft but still whole and able for you to pick them up, if this is the case then turn off the cooker and remove with a slotted spoon and place in a dish to allow to cool, strain the cooking liquid over them and cool in the liquor. At this point toss all the veg and other bits in the bin.
    I would usually allow these to cool to room temp and then place covered in the fridge over night and the result is a firm jelly set with the beef in it and the fat will have come to the top and you can remove and toss out. Seeing that you didn’t eat these last night I imagine that the other Indian Pale Ales would have gone well with the Charcoal BBQ’d rib eye on the bone you would have had????
    Now remove the cheeks from the jelly and place on a plate wrap with cling film and place back in the fridge. Pop the Jelly into a saucepan and add a bottle of Cab Sav ensure its a quality wine like any of the Redbank ones (I like them) and reduce skimming the whole time to remove the rubbish. Once this is reduced by about 1/2 pass thru a fine strainer and allow to cool. Once cool add the beef cheeks and place back in the fridge (if using later) or if you intend to use now I would suggest peel some good mashing potato’s and about 1 head of garlic per 2 people and boil them and begin the mash process.
    If using the beef now (open and decant a bottle of good red possibly a 1999 Sallys Paddock) then return to the straining phase and strain the liquid into a clean pot add the cheeks and simmer for about 15 minutes to heat the cheeks (at this time mash your spuds) add a little brown sugar to sweeten the jus and season, once the potato and garlic mash is ready plate in the middle of your serving plates and place one or two cheeks on each mash with the sauce napped over them I have then used blanched fresh asparagus and finely curled pecorino cheese to garnish and the whole thing is great.
    I know it takes a long time to make it but really it cooks all day Sat you get a good BBQ Sat night as a reason to drink the Little creatures Indian Pale Ale, the come Sunday you finish it off and there you have a great Sunday lunch boozy and fun with great food and your fav Red what more is there a weekend needs?

No 120F

Very low heat.

The stuff was amazing.

Makes sense, the wine will do fine as an anti-microbial till the alchohol evaporates.

I usually do my ribs and other tougher cuts between 170 and 190 (f) for as long as it takes.

Back