Yeast for Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etxflyer

Reaction score
I ordered an all grain kit from MoreBeer and since one of their options for yeast was US-05, I declined to order yeast since I had some on hand. I’m now at brew day and read some comments that US-05 will make a Kolsch taste pretty much like a blonde ale (which is ok but not preferable). I have some LalBrew Munich classic on hand for a Hefe i plan to brew in a few weeks. Question is, should I stick with the US-05, or would the MC be better and just re order for the Hefe? LHBS is not an option because I live a little past the middle of nowhere. Delaying brew day is also not an option. Thanks for any advice, and disclaimer, I’m a noob!!!!

If you ferment warm (or if you do not have fermentation temperature control) the Munich Classic is no-way-no-how going to give you something Kolschy. It will be beer, but it will be a disaster Kolschwise. Kolsch fail, if you will.

I have no idea what MC will do if you ferment cold (say, 60 F.) I suspect still too many phenols. But there’s at least a possibility that it would be ok.

My Kolsch is a week into its journey. I think it’s a shame discontinuing the dry Kolsch yeast. I use Giga 021 that I’ve kept going for years. Maybe you’ll be able to find the yeast of your liking the next time. Enjoy your blonde!

Well, I had a hefe that the Munich yeast was for, so I decided to just go ahead and brew the hefe instead even tho I had my heart set on the Kolsch. I’d rather just get the right yeast and do it right. Thanks again for the advice!!!!

My Kolsch is a week into its journey. I think it’s a shame discontinuing the dry Kolsch yeast. I use Giga 021 that I’ve kept going for years. Maybe you’ll be able to find the yeast of your liking the next time. Enjoy your blonde!
Who is discontinuing Dry Kolsch? Lallemand, SafAle, both? And to stay on topic, I agree with all that US05 will turn a Kolsch into a Blonde, and the only way to get a Kolsch is with Kolsch yeast. Munich Classic... nope, not even close at any temp. I feel your pain, OP, about distance to an LHBS. My nearest 1 is 150 miles... also in BFE Texas.

Well, I had a hefe that the Munich yeast was for, so I decided to just go ahead and brew the hefe instead even tho I had my heart set on the Kolsch. I’d rather just get the right yeast and do it right. Thanks again for the advice!!!!
You could have made a German Dampfbier (steam beer) with that yeast and your Kölsch grain bill.
My steam beer.

Attachments

• Dampfbier (2).jpg
    Dampfbier (2).jpg
    819 KB · Views: 0
I use mainly yeasts from Crossmyloof in Glasgow. They re-package yeasts. I use this yeast for a Kolsch.
KöLSCH STRAIN CLASSIFICATION: Kölsch lager ale yeast is a top fermenting lager clone yeast and produces a clean lager aroma without the associated sulphur. This yeast is perfect for most kinds of lager. Ferment at lower temps for a cleaner taste and extended lagering time will produce a cleaner brew. 2 packs may be required if fermenting below the recommended temperatures. Can’t ferment at 15c? Room temp will do just fine… COLD AGE FOR 8 WEEKS for best results.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae. RECOMMENDED TEMPERATURE RANGE: 15 - 22°c; ATTENUATION: (75-82%); FLOCCULATION RATE: 76-80%; VIABLE YEAST CELLS: >20 x 109 cells; GMO STATUS: GMO Free; Max brew strength per sachet in a 23 l brew - 9% ABV

I’ve kept Giga 021 going for several years. My latest is currently ready to keg. Pulled a gravity sample earlier today and it’s going to be fantastic. It puts off a little sulphur while ferment. I haven’t found a Kolsch yeast that I like more. I split the batch w S-189. That’s a dry yeast I also like. Not for Kolsch, but I’m having really nice results with it.

Widmer Hefeweizen is believed to use an Alt/Kolsch yeast. You could go grab a half case and harvest some. I’ve used it before, worked well. Should be Ok for both your Kolsch and Hefeweizen.
Indeed, it is a close relative to Wyeast 2565. Not surprising since 2565 takes forever and a day to clear. Given enough time it will clear but takes a very very long time.

On the K-97, I brewed 4 different batches with it last fall to check it out. It took a long time to clear when crashed, and added a fruity/sour note, as mentioned by others. It was my initial opinion I would not use the yeast again, however, after tasting beer that had cold conditioned longer, I found it very good. The sourness eased off, but still had a flavor character of its own, more like kolsh than ale.

I'll use it again, but recommend a lager timeline in cellar. It tastes a little raw if conditioned on ale timeline.

I use mainly yeasts from Crossmyloof in Glasgow. They re-package yeasts. I use this yeast for a Kolsch.
KöLSCH STRAIN CLASSIFICATION: Kölsch lager ale yeast is a top fermenting lager clone yeast and produces a clean lager aroma without the associated sulphur. This yeast is perfect for most kinds of lager. Ferment at lower temps for a cleaner taste and extended lagering time will produce a cleaner brew. 2 packs may be required if fermenting below the recommended temperatures. Can’t ferment at 15c? Room temp will do just fine… COLD AGE FOR 8 WEEKS for best results.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae. RECOMMENDED TEMPERATURE RANGE: 15 - 22°c; ATTENUATION: (75-82%); FLOCCULATION RATE: 76-80%; VIABLE YEAST CELLS: >20 x 109 cells; GMO STATUS: GMO Free; Max brew strength per sachet in a 23 l brew - 9% ABV
this is what I use. Has produced good results for me.

I thought K-97 was a german style ale yeast? Kolsch is an ale fermented closer to lager temps and methods.
It IS a German ale yeast. It's just not a very good one, for any style. I think the drying process hurts it. Maybe if it is repitched over and over it will improve. I won't be trying that.

<sniff>
I really liked how Giga 021 was in a Kolsch; the perfect light wine ester, one man's opinion. I was so sad when Giga went away. And the next best, for my tastes, was
For future Kolsch recipes try Wyeast, 2565 is available anytime but their private collection series 2575 has better flavor, IMO. Both are liquid yeast, I use them all if the time.

So now I'll have to try the 2575.

It IS a German ale yeast. It's just not a very good one, for any style. I think the drying process hurts it. Maybe if it is repitched over and over it will improve. I won't be trying that.

I don't know, my results may have been different from some because I did run the K-97 with lager fermentation temps and cold conditioning time.

Maybe the later batches' taste benefited from yeast doing well for so long, but I recall the second keg from the first batch had improved with age as well. You seem to be a yeast expert, so perhaps folks should trust your judgement on that.

Seems to me there was more dead yeast solids produced by this yeast than usual when run for multable brews, not a deal killer, but a pain if one does not have a bottom dump on primary fermentor.

Anyway, this is a pint from last batch in the K-97 series; batch #189, brewed 10/1/23. 10 gallon, 3V.

Trying to learn how to photograph beer, Which is better picture? ;]

Goes down like a lager like ale, or an ale like lager, pretty tastey.

10 # Bestmalz pils
5# Viking Sahti blend (basically a two row w a bit of biscuit and caramel malt mixed in, pre ground) ordering mistake ;]
2.5# Rye malt
1# flaked corn

1.2 OZ N brewer, FW
1.2 OZ Spatz, 30 min into boil.

K-97 in fermentor, solids dumped, approx 1 liter yeast cake beer.

Feremtented around 59F, natually carbed w timed spunding, cold crashed at 32F until searved.

IMG_0445.JPG
IMG_0447.JPG

Last edited:
Back