Yeast nutrient brain freeze

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CDS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Any one ever had a momentary lapse of reason like I just did and add yeast nutrient to cooled-down starter? I always add a little nutrient to my starter wort as it's boiling, but forgot to add it this time. I only remembered once I had cooled the wort down, and like a dummy, for some reason decided it would be fine to throw some in anyway. I actually had the presence of mind to sanitize the measuring spoon, but somehow didn't think, "Hey the nutrient itself isn't sterile!". I pitched the yeast and started the stir plate before it dawned on me. Now I'm sitting here worrying about my starter and whether I'll be brewing on Sunday. :(

I’d guess you’re ok. I haven’t heard of nutes harboring nasties. In the few batches of mead I’ve done, I add nutes throughout the first week and have never thought to sterilize them. No ill effects yet.

Latest posts

Back