Yeast starter bubble over

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

00Seven

All-Terrain Brewing Company
Reaction score
2L starter around 1.040 on a stir plate. Started at noon yesterday. Checked on it this morning and it bubbled over at some point during the night. How can I avoid this happening again? Using a 2L erlynmyer flask. Last one didn’t do it but the volume wasn’t quite as high. I used 2000ml water and 200g of DME. Cooled it some and volume was 1600ml after boiling so I added some more sanitized water to get final volume right.

2L starter around 1.040 on a stir plate. Started at noon yesterday. Checked on it this morning and it bubbled over at some point during the night. How can I avoid this happening again? Using a 2L erlynmyer flask. Last one didn’t do it but the volume wasn’t quite as high. I used 2000ml water and 200g of DME. Cooled it some and volume was 1600ml after boiling so I added some more sanitized water to get final volume right.

Try using a drop of Fermcap. I had a starter get close to bubbling over because I forgot it. I added a drop and it knocked the foam way down.

Get a larger flask or make a smaller starter :)

^this

1,500ml starter in a 2L flask has a 50/50 chance of bubbling over, 1,200 is always good, 2,000 is almost surly always going to bubble over. If you need to make 2L starters either get a 5L flask or step them up.

I have always had good luck avoiding blow offs by keeping the starter size to half the flask size.

Until a couple of days ago where a 2L came out of a 4L flask. 8th gen 34/70.

The shape of a flask is conducive to boil overs and blow offs.

Back