Yeast stuck to side of glass in JAOM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

collitchboy

Reaction score
Good morning. Almost a month ago I started my first JAOM and followed the recipe almost exactly (used 3lbs of honey instead of 3.5 because that was all I mistakenly bought). I noticed about a week and a half ago it looked like it was starting to clear a little bit though there was still quite a bit of yeast activity. I checked it this morning and while there is still SOME activity it has cleared surprisingly well after having read how 'difficult' the bread yeast can be.

In looking at the clarity I noticed a LOT of 'specs' of yeast stuck to the sides of my 1g jug. According to the recipe we are not suppose to touch it until the two month mark and I am fine with that if others have experienced this. The first large batch of wine I ever made was 5g of SkeeterPee (large is subjective, I know) and as I racked it to remove the clear wine from the sediment small waves of yeast began to emerge from the ribs in the carboy. I had not thought to try and keep those clear. The last thing I want to happen is have these yeast come 'unstuck' once it is crystal clear and I move to bottle the JAOM.

I wouldn't bottle it straight from primary exactly for that reason. I woukd have racked to a second carboy and let the yeast settle again for a few weeks and repearlt until there isn't any yeast to worry about. Then you know its safe to bottle without worrying about any nasty yeasty flavours in the glass.

I racked my JOAM at 2 months and working on month 3 now. I may rack 1 or 2 more times from here befor I am confident it is as clear and clean as I can get it. Just to give you an idea as to what yours may be like.

I occasionally tap the side of the carboy with my finger over a period of a few weeks to allow the very fine yeast residue to sink and I never rack my JAOM.

IMG_1619.JPG

Back