Yeast vial opened like a shaken beer for starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishslayer

Reaction score
I opened a vial of London yeast to pour into the starter and it fizzed like a shaken soda. I assume there is enough in the starter to get it going.

Thoughts?

The vials will do that, hopefully you didn't lose too much. They should put instructions on the side to slowly open the cap to release pressure. I'm sure it will be fine. You can always add some extra extract to the starter

Yep, you should be fine. That's actually pretty common. I've certainly had that happen with no ill effects.

With vials, I'll store them upright in the fridge for several days prior to using. Then, on the day I need them, I'll pull from the fridge, slowly open the vial, and decant half of the top water - this allows for plenty of room for expansion later on. Then I'll recap it, shake it up, and set upright for several minutes before opening again (and, again, I'll open it slowly to let the carbonation escape slowly). It works every time!

Good to hear, I have been brewing for over 10 years but just never did a liquid yeast or starter. On my first I was like crap I feel like a noobie again.... Lol

Back