yet another kegerator thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfov

Reaction score
Walmart.com: GE 4.3 cu. ft. Compact Refrigerator, Black: Appliances

i'm using pin-locks so the height should be ok right? would this size fridge fit two 5g cornys or just one? i'm willing to store the gas outside if i have to. also willing to work up some type of foam collar for the door if it means i can jam two in there. there's a guy on craigslist with one cheap and even new it's not bad.

any other ideas for cheap keg cooling? i had planned on just sticking them in the garage for the winter and calling it cold enough but if anyone has any ideas i'm open to it!

Without seeing it in person, I'm going to say the only way to get this to work is to (1) remove the trays in the door and (2) contend with the freezer section at the top. Can you make this work? Only if you have enought interior height and, although pinlocks tend to be shorter, they have taller posts. The ad lists the external height at about 32", so its a guess as to the internal height.

Ideally, even if you could get it to work, you are ultimately saving little by going this route. The Sanyo lists for typically $190, but can be had for less on sale.

My advice, is to get the Sanyo 4912 if you want two kegs on tap. It's an easy conversion with lots of satisfied customers (speaking from experience) and worth the 30 or so dollars for the certainty that it WILL work. :mug:

Without seeing it in person, I'm going to say the only way to get this to work is to (1) remove the trays in the door and (2) contend with the freezer section at the top. Can you make this work? Only if you have enought interior height and, although pinlocks tend to be shorter, they have taller posts. The ad lists the external height at about 32", so its a guess as to the internal height.

Ideally, even if you could get it to work, you are ultimately saving little by going this route. The Sanyo lists for typically $190, but can be had for less on sale.

My advice, is to get the Sanyo 4912 if you want two kegs on tap. It's an easy conversion with lots of satisfied customers (speaking from experience) and worth the 30 or so dollars for the certainty that it WILL work. :mug:

Where the hell do they sell the Sanyo 4912 still?

I'm not sure this fridge will work for you. Take a look at the bottom where the strawberries and the apples are. It looks to me like that part only goes halfway to the back of the fridge. I'd guess the compressor is back there. I don't think you would have enough room to get your carboy or even a corney keg in and still be able to close the door. For $145, I'd probably try to pick up a craigslist fridge or maybe get a chest freezer and a temperature controller.

Best of luck.

thanks for the advice everyone. looks like i'll just save up a little longer and deal with garage temp beer for now. i can store bottles out there without breakage through the winter here(western ny) so i should be ok keeping one keg out there at a time. those pictures of frozen/burst kegs will keep me awake at night though. :drunk:

thanks again! this forum is great no matter what level you're brewing at.

We already have a bunch of threads about this fridge (I think in equipment and DIY). They sell the same at Lowes, etc. You should find plenty when you do the search ;)

Back