You carboy guys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluedog

Reaction score
You fellas using carboys for primaries, how do you strain your wort in? I use buckets and have a fine stainless collender that fits right on top of the bucket. I'm thinking about buying a 6.5gal. glass carboy.

I believe that most of them do the whirlpool and siphon method.

You can get funnels that have a strainer, but I've heard they clog up VERY easily so you're always having to stop and clear them.

Then other folks don't care about hops and break material and just dump it all in and let it settle out in the trub.

Me, I'm a bucket and kitchen strainer guy.

I believe that most of them do the whirlpool and siphon method.

You can get funnels that have a strainer, but I've heard they clog up VERY easily so you're always having to stop and clear them.

Then other folks don't care about hops and break material and just dump it all in and let it settle out in the trub.

Me, I'm a bucket and kitchen strainer guy.

How does the whirlpool work? Also, how do you aerate? I'm using a hand-held blender in my bucket.

Why primary in a carboy? You get better esters and phenolics with an open fermenter (bucket).

If you're set in a bucket though. Then whirlpool and siphon is the way to go.

I just run the sanitized hose a few inches into the top. Most of the hot break stays behind, and apparently I'm not supposed to care if the cold break gets in there, from what I read. CF chiller.
I do attempt a whirlpool. Or at least a gentle swirl.
I really like glass. I have a 6.5, and it's great. Shaking those things is fun.

How does the whirlpool work? Also, how do you aerate? I'm using a hand-held blender in my bucket.

You stir the crap out of the wort and then leave it alone. As the swirling slows, solids end up deposited in a little pile in the middle of the pan. Then you siphon from the side or use a pot with a spigot.

Then they can aerate in the carboy either by rocking/shaking or using a pump or a tank of O2 with a hose and an aeration stone.

I either filter with a bag or just dump it in and RDWHAHB. The strainer that comes with the funnel is indeed a joke.

I've never seen the need to filter anything. If the spigot clogs up, its bottoms up on the brew kettle. Everything goes into the fermentor.

Where did you get this info? Curious. Never heard that one before.

and I bag my hops so no problem with hops going into the primary.

From mr. Malty himself, Jamil Zainesheff.

He discusses it in his saison episode. When you ferment under pressure (as little as 1 psi) the yeast produce fewer flavors. Apparently Sierra Nevada does this to lager at warmer temperatures while still getting a clean flavor profile. They do it at (I believe) 2 psi.

I've found at home that I get far better flavors out of my Belgian beers and hefes when I ferment in a bucket.

funnel with a screen, u have to clear it but it aerates your wort really well

From mr. Malty himself, Jamil Zainesheff.

He discusses it in his saison episode. When you ferment under pressure (as little as 1 psi) the yeast produce fewer flavors. Apparently Sierra Nevada does this to lager at warmer temperatures while still getting a clean flavor profile. They do it at (I believe) 2 psi.

I've found at home that I get far better flavors out of my Belgian beers and hefes when I ferment in a bucket.

A bucket is not open fermentation, unless you leave the top off. Is that what you are referring to?

Yeah, I don't see how a bucket has less pressure. Leaving the top off brings some risks, I think.

Yeah, I don't see how a bucket has less pressure. Leaving the top off brings some risks, I think.

I don't see how loosely covered bucket couldnt have less pressure than a closed carboy. In a closed carboy you have a volume of gas trying to escape through a very small space. In a bucket with a loose piece of foil the gas has much more room to escape and would build less pressure.

I was sceptical of this at first too. I was convinced when I made a ten gal batch of hefe, fermented five in a bucket with a loose piece of sanitized foil and ten in an enclosed carboy. The differences were pretty significant.

Loosely covered is different. I wasn't sure if you meant a closed lid which, depending on the size of the bucket relative to the beer, wouldn't seem to make a difference. Loosely covered isn't the same as wide open, which would bring risks (sort of like lambic with wild yeast). So yeah, your explanation makes sense.

I invite anyone who doesn't believe me to so the same experiment I did. Make a large batch and split it in two. Control everything the same way, ferm temps pitching rates etc...

Do something with a yeast heavy profile: hefe, saison, tripel....

I'd be surprised if you dont notice a difference.

Homebrewtastic said:
I don't see how loosely covered bucket couldnt have less pressure than a closed carboy. In a closed carboy you have a volume of gas trying to escape through a very small space. In a bucket with a loose piece of foil the gas has much more room to escape and would build less pressure.

I was sceptical of this at first too. I was convinced when I made a ten gal batch of hefe, fermented five in a bucket with a loose piece of sanitized foil and ten in an enclosed carboy. The differences were pretty significant.

But what about compared to a carboy with loose piece of foil? I'd think this would be far easier to cover and have a significantly lower risk of contamination than trying to cover a bucket.

Back