Zombipocalypse Survival Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Decojuicer

Reaction score
OK, so it's not really for the coming zombipolcalypse, but it could be.

A few years ago, I had to sit through one of the most boring classes that it has ever been my misfortune to go to. The class was all about the National Incident Management System(NIMS). In short, it was about how public safety personnel are supposed to respond to major emergencies. I have been told that all public safety personnel have to be trained in it and have to pass at least the NIMS 200 test.

During the class, the ****** nozzle teaching it kept talking about his "go box". A go box is a box with all the stuff you may need to survive, should you have to evacuate your home on a few minutes notice. For whatever reason(Fire, flood, earthquake, zombie horde, WMD attack).

A few days ago, the wife and I were joking about the zombipocalype, and I mentioned that we should each have a go box, just in case. So tonight she comes home from the hardware store and has 2 large rubbermaid tote containers. She says, "I've been thinking about those go boxes, and you're right, we should have them. Here, fill these and put them in the vehicles."

So now I'm stuck trying to figure out what I need to put in these. Of course I want to make them identical, in case we can only take one vehicle and can't get back to the other, and of course there are certain things that should be in each.

Here's a run down of what I am thinking so far:

2 complete sets of clothes for each family member.
2 army poncho liners(very warm)
complete list of all meds for each member of the family
3 days worth of dehydrated food
100 rounds of ammo for each gun
-12 gauge
-7mm
-2 bricks of .22 ammo
firestarter
cooking pot
flashlights
batteries(change them out regularly)
2 bottles of Jack Daniels
cash(small amount)
good first aid kit

On top of that, we were talking about why a knowledge of brewing beer could be important in a situation like that(i.e. bad water supply), and she also wants me to figure out a way to put a small brewing kit together. That was where I drew the line. I told here that I would fight terrorists, zombie, AND werewolves to get my brewing equipment. In fact, I'm packing that before I pack her and the kids.

Anybody else have any suggestions??

- NOAA crank radio/flashlight/signalling device
- thermal blankets
- UV water purifier/iodine drops
- water proof matches
- multitool
- machete

I don't have much to add other than i'm currently reading the book "World War Z" by Max Brooks, so the title caught my attention. HIGHLY recommend this book.

- NOAA crank radio/flashlight/signalling device
- thermal blankets
- UV water purifier/iodine drops
- water proof matches
- multitool
- machete

All good suggestions. I would substitute disposable lighter for waterproof matches though. Lighters are much more reliable and last longer. Other than that, excellent. Keep 'em coming.

All good suggestions. I would substitute disposable lighter for waterproof matches though. Lighters are much more reliable and last longer. Other than that, excellent. Keep 'em coming.

I've been looking at those flint stick lately for backpacking. This summer I will go to REI, buy all of them try them out, and return the duds.

I've been looking at those flint stick lately for backpacking. This summer I will go to REI, buy all of them try them out, and return the duds.

If you are talking about the ones that have the magnesium on one side and the flint on the other, they work great. I keep one in my hunting backpack and one in my hunting waistpack. I got mine at Walmart for around $7. You shave off a few slivers of magnesium from one side, then strike the flint on the other side. The mag. burns really hot for a few minutes to get your tinder cooking up. I played with mine a little, and it worked great.

If you are talking about the ones that have the magnesium on one side and the flint on the other, they work great. I keep one in my hunting backpack and one in my hunting waistpack. I got mine at Walmart for around $7. You shave off a few slivers of magnesium from one side, then strike the flint on the other side. The mag. burns really hot for a few minutes to get your tinder cooking up. I played with mine a little, and it worked great.

Ya, both those ones, and the ones where you just drag your knife along the edge to get some sparks that can light tinder.

I'm pretty big into the ultralight backpacking/survival camping type thing - don't know how I don't have one of these yet.

One of THE best zombie apocalypse I mean disaster preparedness sites I ever found was Zombie Squad. They are very thorough and don't give off that 'Montana survivalist in the woods' vibe at all. I've learned a lot about ways and means to prepare from that site.

That said, I really haven't done that much for long term or bug out survival, but I do have an EveryDay Carry bag that's full of all kinds of goodies.

extra socks for all
a few lengths of wire
simple fishing gear - some line, hooks, etc
aluminum/titanium camping cook set (usually 2 small pots, pan per set)
some kind of extra water storage device

I have a hurricane backpack with anything I could think of that would be useful. First aid kit, a few bottles of water, iodine tablets, knife, multi-tool, farraday flashlight/radio. One thing nobody here has mentioned yet I think is chemlights (glow sticks for you civilians).

I thought about chemlights, but I don't like the idea of something that I can't turn off in a hurry. I can see where they have some valid use though. I used to use them a lot when I was a dive master. I would crack one and tie it to my tank valve so that people could follow me easy in the murky Great Lakes waters.

it would also be good to get a very good set of maps. In the event of something catastrophic in a big city Inter-states are going to be a no go. That way you can find a good route and avoid swarms of people in masses and hit the back roads. I would think it would be important to have somewhere to go like a secluded cabin up in the mountains next to a lake that is fed by the melting snowcaps.

As for the weaponry a pistol for everyone is fine but I think your pistols are all over the spectrum (as they Should be, people typical do not have 2-3 of the same handgun) I would go with one type or at least be able to share ammo. If I had to pick this is how I would arm.

2 12 gauge
3 Glocks .40
2 AR15 collapsable stock, rails, and red dot ACOG and the other with holographic sight
7mm Mag with enough scope to handle business.

(if I could get anything)
10 claymores
trip wire
case of hand grenades (fragmentation)
.50 Barrett.
MA2 mounted in the bed of my truck like a technical
30/30 lever action saddle rifle
M19 automatic grenade launcher

Ya, both those ones, and the ones where you just drag your knife along the edge to get some sparks that can light tinder.

I'm pretty big into the ultralight backpacking/survival camping type thing - don't know how I don't have one of these yet.
IMO

This style sucks
Magnesium%20FIRE%20STARTER.jpg

this one is good

magfirestart-200x200.jpg

with that said...they are great toys but no lighter. I can start a fire with a many things (batters & steal wool, magnifying glass, etc) but a light is the first choice ;)

10 claymores
trip wire
case of hand grenades (fragmentation)
.50 Barrett.
MA2 mounted in the bed of my truck like a technical
30/30 lever action saddle rifle
M19 automatic grenade launcher

With that kind of arsenal, you may be the one I'm hiding from:cross:

Good start on your kit. I'd add a camp shovel and some sort of hatchet. Sometimes, mil surplus camp shovels ARE hatchets. Also, a decent size tarp and about 100' of 3/8" rope. Add an empty thermos or canteen for potable water that you may find on the trail.

Minimalist backpack camping was a hobby of mine for a few years. Got married and suddenly there's a 28' TT with air. :confused:

It's fun to be ready for the zombiepocalypse with the guns and the knives and such but it is more likey you will be fleeing a fire or flood. Maybe something a little more mundane like contact info, telephone numbers, contacts at banks, credit cards......grenades are good too, don't get me wrong, I like grenades as much as the next guy. But how about a backup disc of all the family photos, financial records, MP3's or your pr0n?

I carry a sledge hammer behind the seat of my truck. It can come in handy.

I would scrap everything except for the guns. If you have guns, you can GET the rest of that stuff.

You might want some condoms though.....so.......

Final answer: guns and condoms.

Just to note, disposable lighters do not work in extremely cold temperatures. The liquid gas does not turn into vapor, allowing the flame.

I used to carry them while hunting, until I attempted to use one and found out that I had to hold it in my armpit to get it to work. Which would suck if my core temp had dropped and I was freezing to death.

I carry matches and a magnesium firestarter. For tinder I will usually use dryer lint that has been soaked in parrafin. Or just the contents of my wallet.

To the OP. I have both a get home bag in my cars, and a Bug out bag in my garage. Its next to the exterior door, in the event of an earthquake. It should still be acessable.

I will post up the contents in a little bit. I have to say goodnight to my wife.

I wouldn't bother with a .357, a .40 and a .44. If you do have three shooters, then it's better to have ammo and magazines be interchangeable between them.

Ok.

My get home bag is basically everything I would need to get from my work or anywhere else, to my house without a vehicle. I work about 3 miles away, but a couple of times a month I am up in Eugene. Which is about 15 miles away, depending on what part of the city I am in.

I kept it basic enough. I am reciting from memory, since I am to lazy to go out to the car and see whats in it.

Pair of wool socks
winter coat liner
poncho
basic first aid kit, with emphasis on abd pads, 4x4's and ace wrap. I also have several pairs of rubber gloves.
1 each 24 hour candle
1 liter of water
3 or 4 granola bars and power bars.
1 box of my daily carry ammo. (I carry a 9mm 95% of the time I am out of the house)
Multitool
pocket knife
LED flashlight with spare batteries. I have a 3 watt rayovac that uses AA batteries. Which are very common.
chem lights
parachute cord.
pen and paper

For my bug out bag, I have a warm change of clothes for my family, canned and dried food for 3 days. A couple of water bottles with a charcoal filter to fill them. Space blankets, tarp, para cord, duct tape, flashlights with batteries, knife, multi tool, gps, local area map. Box of ammo for my daily carry and a box of .45 for my non daily. Plus some diapers and wipes for the kids.

I am missing a bunch of stuff. Its the best I can do from memory.

It is what I can keep my family alive until we can get to another location. 3 days is the recommendation. Due to the typical FEMA response.

Aside from zombies, I live down stream from 2 dams, about a mile from a railroad that carries a crap ton of chemicals. Plus a bunch of farms with some fairly scarey chemicals.

I set up my bags to be as non military as possible. I prefer to stay unprepared to the flee'ing masses and figured if my world turnes ****ty overnight, I would want to stay as unremarkable as possible. The main point is to get my family from home to safety.

As for WWZ. I am shoring up the walls and breaking out the AK and AR. My buddy who lives down the street has offered to be the secondary bug out. We have a plan to blow up the bridge between our houses and one of us is going to move over. Depending on which direction the zombie horde is coming from. :D

OK, so it's not really for the coming zombipolcalypse, but it could be.

A few days ago, the wife and I were joking about the zombipocalype, and I mentioned that we should each have a go box, just in case. So tonight she comes home from the hardware store and has 2 large rubbermaid tote containers. She says, "I've been thinking about those go boxes, and you're right, we should have them. Here, fill these and put them in the vehicles."

So now I'm stuck trying to figure out what I need to put in these. Of course I want to make them identical, in case we can only take one vehicle and can't get back to the other, and of course there are certain things that should be in each.

Anybody else have any suggestions??

You may find this site useful: Survivalnet.org, where survivalism rocks! - The Equipment List
Regards, GF.

+1 on condoms and add maxi pads to the list:

Condoms can be used to hold water or food to keep it from being contaminated by outside sources. I used to keep a couple in my backpack in case I needed to hold an extra gallon of water for any reason.

Maxi pads are GREAT wound dressings. Thick, clean, absorbent, readily available...

The only other thing that I have in my emergency kit are some local anesthetics, suture material, surgical scrub, and a sterile basic surgery kit, but I doubt many people will have access or know how to use these materials properly.

It's good to have those medical supplies in your bag anyways, even if you don't know how to use them. Why? Because in a true disaster scenario, you will most likely run across someone who DOES know how to use them, and will save your broke ass in an emergency.

Some great ideas here. I'm going to add several of them to the kit. The shovel, duct tape, rope, and a couple of candles are also going to be added to the kit.

Of course, I heard that those items are also in Revvy's "Saturday Night Date Kit". OHHHHH Sick Burn!!!

Just kidding Revvy. Have fun at your hockey game this weekend.

Guns are almost useless in case of zombie attack. DO NOT WASTE VALUABLE SPACE ON GUNS! once you run out of ammo the chances of safely getting to more ammo are almost non existent. My friends and I have had long debates on this topic ant there are three tools that are essential for any good zombie survival kit.

1. Katana (not a cheap replica one either): this is the most expensive and difficult item to obtain, However the cost is easily justifiable when you look at the katana's ability to slice through multiple zombies with a single swing. It is recommended that you sell off all guns and ammunition in order to finance a well made katana.

2. Cro-bar: this cheap, durable, and versatile tool can be used for many purposes. It can be used to easily break into a building to obtain needed food/supplies. It can also be used as a close combat weapon if you are confronted with some sort of mutant zombie that cannot be easily dispatched with the katana.
Please note that the most effective way to utilize the cro-bar as a weapon is NOT swinging like a bat/club but as an overhand "jabbing" weapon. In order to be used with maximum efficiency you hold the curved end in your right hand (if right handed) and hold the middle with your left, when the zombie gets within range force the straight end of the bar into the neck as hard as possible in order to sever the spinal cord.

3. Fiberglass/metal handled shovel: The shovel is another very useful tool that can be used for many applications. The shovel can be used to dig a deep, steep sided trench, since zombies are very limited in their climbing ability this can buy you some much needed time to escape/defend yourself. The shovel is also a useful weapon if you happen to be separated from other options. Simply thrust the head of the shovel into the neck of the attacking zombie with sufficient force to sever the head. The shovel is especially useful in this application because of it's long range. The final and possibly most important use of the shovel is to bury your dead/injured (yes unfortunately if a member of your party is bitten by a zombie they must be either beheaded or buried alive) as deeply as possible in order to keep them from attacking you if/when they turn.

I hope all of you remember these tips in case of zombie attack. Following this short guide can save the lives of you and your family.

Gasoline, at the very least, and depending on your method of survival (fortress or running) a generator wouldn't be bad either. Perhaps a gallon of gasoline. Can be used either as a weapon for emergancy fuel, to start a fire, etc.

Gasoline, at the very least, and depending on your method of survival (fortress or running) a generator wouldn't be bad either. Perhaps a gallon of gasoline. Can be used either as a weapon for emergancy fuel, to start a fire, etc.

if you are going with flammable liquids I would suggest holding up in a gas station or preferably a truck stop. Carrying a generator would slow you down immensely and if you only have a gallon of gasoline the generator becomes worthless.

RULE 1: Avoid relying on consumable items (ammo, gas, etc...) as much as possible. If you MUST use them stay somewhere where they are readily available like a truck stop. A truck stop is a great place because they store massive quantities of fuel and food, as well as kitchen/bath facilities.
They are also located along highways which makes escape easier.

#1 Item: YOUR BRAIN, the rest of the survival junk listed isn't worth a sh*t without your brain. And Please don't do anything Bear Grills does, he's an a**hole! IMHO

#1 Item: YOUR BRAIN, the rest of the survival junk listed isn't worth a sh*t without your brain. And Please don't do anything Bear Grills does, he's an a**hole! IMHO

I am pretty sure Bear Grylls does not try to show you how to survive anymore, but is now taking the title of the show too literally and thinks he is supposed to actually battle nature. I mean how else can you explain pole vaulting down a hill?

if you are going with flammable liquids I would suggest holding up in a gas station or preferably a truck stop. Carrying a generator would slow you down immensely and if you only have a gallon of gasoline the generator becomes worthless.

A small generator like a 1000watt honda runs for about 8+hrs on a 1/2 gal. That would offer plenty of time to recharge batteries/flashlights, listen to a radio, etc. Not to mention, if you were nomadic (mad max style) a 1 gal. may give you enough gas to get to a gas station

RULE 1: Avoid relying on consumable items (ammo, gas, etc...) as much as possible. If you MUST use them stay somewhere where they are readily available like a truck stop. A truck stop is a great place because they store massive quantities of fuel and food, as well as kitchen/bath facilities. They are also located along highways which makes escape easier.

While a sword is a decent option. It should definitely not be your first and/or only option. A pistol, shotgun and rifle are much more valuable. Not only do they dramatically increase your killing field by several hundred yards (which a sword only has an effective killing range of 1 yrd at max), they have additional purposes. First is hunting. Try killing a deer, bear, rabbit, grouse etc with a katana. That would be a net energy loss. Second, with a larger weapon like a rifle or shotgun, a bayonet can be fixed and you have something similar to a sword.

Not to mention, a pistol with several hundred rounds of ammo is much more transportable than carrying around a large shovel, sword and crowbar. If it were me, a machete, a pistol and a shotgun with either slugs or buckshot is a much better option than a sword, shovel and a cro-bar. Remember, you may not have to defend yourself against just zombies, but looters also.

Latest posts

Back