bagel hack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluketamer

Reaction score
i am very particular with my bagels. bagels must be soft and airy on the inside with the right amount of crisp on the shell.

IF a bagel place knows how to make good bagels, then they will come out of the oven steaming hot with a hard crisp shell no doughiness AT ALL. crisp to the point of even being burned a little thats ok. and the right amount of airy dough in the middle. usually without a full whole cause the ratio of dough to surface area has to be such that the hole gets filled in when the dough expands. a bagel with a big hole in the center wont be a real brooklyn bagel ( where all real bagels come from) . because it will not have enough dough and look like a thomas's frozen bagel.

most bagel shops dont know how to make a good bagel correcetly its a dying art. they usually come out under cooked with the sides where they connected to the other bagels containing raw ( oh the horror) dough.

and NO cornmeal - thats BS if you have to use corn meal on the bottom of your bagels to crisp them up then your not making them right. just like pizza with cornmeal something about that is also wrong.

so ----- i think i read on this forum or another the best bagel hack out there.

take any bagel and spray or dunk it quickly in water and shake it off. then either air fry or toast in the oven or toaster oven for 5 mins to crisp it back up.

it will restore a day or 3 old bagel to oven freshness and even fix those poorly undercooked ones. unless i get them hot out of the oven, i always rinse and toast my bagels. - try it if you havent .

sorry boring day at work.

I like my bagels with that crispy shell too, but prefer a bit more chew and density on the inside than airy, although the degree of chew and density and airy is a bit hard to compare across the chat.

I like my bagels with that crispy shell too, but prefer a bit more chew and density on the inside than airy, although the degree of chew and density and airy is a bit hard to compare across the chat.
yeah i didnt mean too airy just the right amount of air to make it not doughy like you said a little hard to get across

I'm a born & raised NYer living in the diaspora for the last 20something years. My boss goes to NY twice a year and every time brings me a dozen. Purchased on her way to the airport, in my hands the next morning. A spritz and a toast is exactly how revive them.

classic bagel flavors:

1)plain - why whats the point?
2)salted - you see less bagel stores carrying this i guess due to health conscious trends. but potentially a great bagel. hot with lots of butter . also straight out of the oven can be eaten plain (like any great bagel) like a ny salted pretzel. obviously without the mustard - duh.
- a word about butter vs cream cheese . butter on a hot or cold bagel preferably hot is fine . but cream cheese is almost never acceptable on a steaming hot bagel unfortunatley cause the heat immediatley melts the CC - changing its consistency not in a good way- and it slips out the sides . the amoutn of butter or cc on a roll or bagel in any bagel shop, bodega, or breakfast cart is a very touchy subject. in general way too much is always applied. but i understand why. i once saw a patron throw a bagel at a clerk and say "you call that butter?"

anyway
3) sesame - another great bagel that can be eaten plain hot or similar to a salted.
4) onion - simialr to an onion roll but obviously much better.
5) garlic - good but just too intense. burnt garlic is an overpowering flavor. unlike overcooked onion.
6) poppy - this is a wierd one . i think of it as sesames unpopular twin. also very overpowering flavor. it probably has enough poppy seeds to turn a urine drug test positive. so theres that also. lol.
7 ) cinnamon raisen, its great but can only be eaten with butter or cream cheese for obvious reasons making it more of a dessert than a breakfast. this i understand may cause pushback as cinnamon raisen with cc and coffee is prolly the number one seller in the morning. i am sure 1 million cinnamon raisne bagels are easily sold every monring in the city - probabaly in street carts alone.
8) everything bagel - i almost forgot everything. the perfect amoutn of - well everything

i think those are all the traditional bagel flavors.

the new ones. like blueberry, sundried tomato, basil pesto, rainbow, chocolate chip, etc are all not really bagels but they arent particulaly bad.

this thing :

1714743497366.png

although also not a traditonal bagel is f-ing delicious.
its prolly also a billion calories.

bagel sandwich also controversial. it doesnt work for the same reason the hot cc doesnt work . the contents spill out the side. sandwhich bread must be soft enough to compress when you bite to absorb the shock and not cuause side spillage. much softer than a good bagel should be.

best bagel sandwich has to be lox a shmear ( on a fresh room temperature bagel), red onion beefsteak jersey tomato, CAPERS, dill, some cracked fresh pepper... omg
- open face of course for the above reasons

😋

As much as I hate Costco, they have a really good bagel in the one by me. You have to buy two six packs, but the cheese one and the everything is good. I like them cause I can get the crisp outside like was described. But, I do have to cool it down to get the Cream Cheese on it to stay. I also try and limit the spreads as to taste the bagel instead.

My wife made them from scratch one day, and they were very tasty. Not very difficult to do I guess, and you can really taste the difference.

Let's not let this one fly by. Metro NYers know exactly what they have in bagels and pizza, but most have no idea how special a delicacy they have in the humble hard roll.

Oh, what I'd give for a bacon, egg, and cheese, over medium, butter, pepper, no salt. Coffee, regular.

Last edited:
Well now, if we are branching out, we are lucky enough to have, what I think, is the best sourdough in the country. Place called Raymonds. Small place but you can walk in anytime and the loaves are still warm. I usually buy one for home and get a small round and eat it in the car. LOL.

Small place but you can walk in anytime and the loaves are still warm. I usually buy one for home and get a small round and eat it in the car. LOL.
I can totally relate to this - but with still-warm cheese curds. Big package for the family, little package for me!

Not just 'the best', but iconic of and unique to NY. It's a tough difference to see from the inside.

Chinese food. Yes, NY has some truly excellent Chinese food. Better than most I've found elsewhere. But it's the duck sauce and mustard that really set it apart. You just don't see it anywhere else. Duck sauce practically not at all. The mustard is this weird vaguely bitter yellow stuff.

Let's not let this one fly by. Metro NYers know exactly what they have in bagels and pizza, but most have no idea how special a delicacy they have in the humble hard roll.

Oh, what I'd give for a bacon, egg, and cheese, over medium, butter, pepper, no salt. Coffee, regular.
the roll is another topic. the italian bakeries in midwood flatbush and of course bensonhurst make the best breakfast rolls.

obviously its the water. i always thought ny water was hard but its actually very soft.

https://www.foodandwine.com/news/new-york-water-bagels-pizza

this was a decent article.

"With very soft water, the dough tends to get soft and sticky. As Smithsonian Magazine puts it, New York City tap water is sort of the "Goldilocks" of water when it comes to dough-making."

bagels rolls bread pizza anything with gluten is better with ny tap water ( or philly , nj or boston)

it makes good beer too - 😉

Nothing like a true fresh bagel. Sadly too many bagel shops now use frozen bagels to cut costs. Don't be fooled by the bagel boil pot and oven in view of the kitchen, may look fresh, but unless that are making their own dough, those frozen ones, while tasty, lack the subtle perfection of a good fresh bagel shop.

Treu story, a friend of mine invested the everything bagel decades. As a teen had to sweep all the seeds that fell off out of the oven. But instead of throwing them out, he saved tham and snacked on them. In conversation, he would tell the owner thsi and one day he suggested they they put them on a bagel. The rest is history. David Gussin and the everything bagel.

Love that stuff but I never get enough with take-out orders.
I need to buy a couple cans of the powder...
My daughter loved the stuff so much whenever we'd get the "chicken fingers" at our fav W MA Chinese food emporium (Mandarin Wilbraham) that when she moved South and was horrified that places had (a) no "chicken fingers" on the menu; and (b) had no yellow mustard, she and her sister went total Sherlock and figured out what it was and how to get it. The sister can easily take the T to Boston's china town you see. I was so proud.

Found a bagel recipe that calls for a little sugar or barley malt syrup.

Barley malt syrup? Isn't that LME?

And, if so, what might be an equivalent amount of DME (because I don't have any LME)?

Found a bagel recipe that calls for a little sugar or barley malt syrup.

Barley malt syrup? Isn't that LME?

And, if so, what might be an equivalent amount of DME (because I don't have any LME)?

Isn't that LME?

it is :

https://www.amazon.com/Eden-Traditi...-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

"Eden malt syrup is excellent for cereal, sauces, desserts, baked goods, breads, baked beans, and home brewing."

"What might be an equivalent amount of DME"

https://www.brewersfriend.com/lme-dme-conversion-calculator/

For brewing I knew it was about 20% less DME by weight due to the water content of LME. I suppose that would roughly hold true here too?

First attempt at homemade.

Used brown sugar and honey instead of malt extract as that's what I had here and now. Depending how this goes I may open a pack of DME.

20240505_212301.jpg

I'm 99% sure I've never experienced a bagel as has been described here.

I just know that my bagel's primary directive is to convey at least 1/4 block of cream cheese into my gullet.
my sister: "the bagel is just the vehicle"

not sure what kind of flavor profile it might lend to beer, but I bet it can't be beat for boiling a bagel

after 10am isn't too early for alliteration?

Isn't that LME?

it is :

https://www.amazon.com/Eden-Traditi...-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

"Eden malt syrup is excellent for cereal, sauces, desserts, baked goods, breads, baked beans, and home brewing."

"What might be an equivalent amount of DME"

https://www.brewersfriend.com/lme-dme-conversion-calculator/

My flaming flowers contribution are a combination of carnation combustion & chrysanthemum conflagration

classic bagel flavors:

1)plain - why whats the point?
2)salted - you see less bagel stores carrying this i guess due to health conscious trends. but potentially a great bagel. hot with lots of butter . also straight out of the oven can be eaten plain (like any great bagel) like a ny salted pretzel. obviously without the mustard - duh.
- a word about butter vs cream cheese . butter on a hot or cold bagel preferably hot is fine . but cream cheese is almost never acceptable on a steaming hot bagel unfortunatley cause the heat immediatley melts the CC - changing its consistency not in a good way- and it slips out the sides . the amoutn of butter or cc on a roll or bagel in any bagel shop, bodega, or breakfast cart is a very touchy subject. in general way too much is always applied. but i understand why. i once saw a patron throw a bagel at a clerk and say "you call that butter?"

anyway
3) sesame - another great bagel that can be eaten plain hot or similar to a salted.
4) onion - simialr to an onion roll but obviously much better.
5) garlic - good but just too intense. burnt garlic is an overpowering flavor. unlike overcooked onion.
6) poppy - this is a wierd one . i think of it as sesames unpopular twin. also very overpowering flavor. it probably has enough poppy seeds to turn a urine drug test positive. so theres that also. lol.
7 ) cinnamon raisen, its great but can only be eaten with butter or cream cheese for obvious reasons making it more of a dessert than a breakfast. this i understand may cause pushback as cinnamon raisen with cc and coffee is prolly the number one seller in the morning. i am sure 1 million cinnamon raisne bagels are easily sold every monring in the city - probabaly in street carts alone.
8) everything bagel - i almost forgot everything. the perfect amoutn of - well everything

i think those are all the traditional bagel flavors.

the new ones. like blueberry, sundried tomato, basil pesto, rainbow, chocolate chip, etc are all not really bagels but they arent particulaly bad.

this thing :

View attachment 847814

although also not a traditonal bagel is f-ing delicious.
its prolly also a billion calories.

bagel sandwich also controversial. it doesnt work for the same reason the hot cc doesnt work . the contents spill out the side. sandwhich bread must be soft enough to compress when you bite to absorb the shock and not cuause side spillage. much softer than a good bagel should be.

best bagel sandwich has to be lox a shmear ( on a fresh room temperature bagel), red onion beefsteak jersey tomato, CAPERS, dill, some cracked fresh pepper... omg
- open face of course for the above reasons

😋
Two garlics (not burnt), 6 everything, 2 poppy, 2 sesame please. Why do people ruin baked goods putting raisins in them!? The salt ones are good but that's a month of salt! Whipped cream cheese, otherwise, a little heat softens the cream cheese. Garlic and swiss, lettuce, tomato, mayo, provided the bagel is made right and not too dense. Egg, swiss, ketchup, S&P! It's not a hard roll though, they're better. Sorry but I don't eat pork roll any more.

First, the disclaimers:
  • I'm not from NY
  • I'm not a bagel snob
I regularly make breakfast sandwiches with bagels. (Using whatever frozen brand it is that my dear wife picks up... I could get up and find the name, if I cared to walk the freezer, but I'm relaxing on the deck with a beer on a beautiful day... you understand.)

I love the flavor and chewy texture of the bagels, but in order to create a sandwich that you can actually eat, you can't have both halves of the bagel in the sandwich. Otherwise, everything would squish out.

Toasted bagel half on the bottom. Next is bacon or ham (if part of the sandwich) then egg, then cheese. Top with a piece of toasted bread that's been cut into a bagel-sized round. We keep a loaf of multigrain bread in the freezer and I use kitchen shears to trim a frozen piece into a round shape.

I really enjoy the mix of textures and flavors with this.

First, the disclaimers:
  • I'm not from NY
  • I'm not a bagel snob
I regularly make breakfast sandwiches with bagels. (Using whatever frozen brand it is that my dear wife picks up... I could get up and find the name, if I cared to walk the freezer, but I'm relaxing on the deck with a beer on a beautiful day... you understand.)

I love the flavor and chewy texture of the bagels, but in order to create a sandwich that you can actually eat, you can't have both halves of the bagel in the sandwich. Otherwise, everything would squish out.

Toasted bagel half on the bottom. Next is bacon or ham (if part of the sandwich) then egg, then cheese. Top with a piece of toasted bread that's been cut into a bagel-sized round. We keep a loaf of multigrain bread in the freezer and I use kitchen shears to trim a frozen piece into a round shape.

I really enjoy the mix of textures and flavors with this.
very interesting take on the "open faced" bagel sandwich

and unfortunately if you aint from around here you dont get to comment. - sorry

just kidding of course all responses are welcome .

Back