Canola

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, the oil is a fat so I'm not sure how you would go about fermenting it without it turning into a vile putrid carboy full of ick. you might be able to brew with the flowers - but the oil is a no go....weird...get a hobby.

The oil does contain less saturated & more poly & mono unsaturated fats,which are better for you. But not your beer.

Well damn. Just stumbled across this thread 6 years later. I'm thinking about brewing a would-be Prairie/Alberta common ale using the top 3 grains grown here... wheat, barley and canola. Guess I'll have to rethink my plans and go with oats instead.

Make a small batch and test it... Just because none of us have heard of it, doesn't meant that it won't work... just that either no one has thought of it, but you and the OP... or that no one has posted anything. WHAT IF... you do a 1 or 2.5 gallon batch and it turns out it works and makes great beer, then you're heralded a genius. Seriously, that's how people innovate, they try things, even when arm-chair quarterbacks are so convinced it can't be done. Hell half of my threads are experiments that turn out, or that buck conventional "wisdom," just to prove that we shouldn't repeat the same things we've heard all the time.

6 years ago there was very little out here on home malting or gluten free brewing, and now there's forums on GF on here.... and people have learned things, shared things.... give it a try.

I'll think about it. I suspect the canola has really high oil content, as mentioned above. I'll see about finding some whole seed, crush it and give it a go if it looks okay.

I went ahead and purchased some canola. The seeds are tiny, so I pulverized them in ziploc bag. Thing is, canola is closely related to mustard and the aroma is similar as well. I had planned to brew 1.5 gallons of the following recipe yesterday, but I chickened out. I might yet try it, but we'll see.

66% 2 Row
20% Wheat
10% Canola
4% C120
Hallertauer @ 60. 24 IBU

Latest posts

Back