Foeder'd Solera Brett Saison yeast recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stealthfixr

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just bought a Foeder Smith 0.5BBL unit and anxious to first put a Brett Saison in it with the intent to create a Solera project. Question for you all is: what Brett strain(s) to use for a Saison solera?

The plan is to pull off 5 gallons every so often, replace with freshly sachs fermented Saison (no Brett) and let the Brett aging & funkiness to build. So, there is a question of the best Brett(s) for the solera, but also a question of not wanting to limit what the foeder can be used for in the future. So, if I drain off the Saison project and replace with a complex souring project later, I don't want whatever Bretts that infected the foeder in the Saison stage to limit or ruin a Flanders Red later.

I was originally just going to pitch the Omega All The Bretts and let it run, but it occurred to me that that would be a whole lot more Bretts strains than would be seen in a Flanders Red or Lambic. Might screw everything up for a complex souring using White Labs Belgian Sour or wyeast roeselare later. Any thoughts of what best to use first?

TYB Lochristi blend gets my vote. It's fruity and leathery without too much funk so would work well in a Flanders Red down the track. Given the description that it's 'isolated from a unique beer produced in the Lochristi area in East Flanders', I'd guess it probably comes from a Flanders Red!

Back