Fruitfull Fort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mschoeffler

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
After finding nothing other than promotional information on this beer, I took a stab at it.

12lbs Belgian pilsener malt
4lbs Belgian Munich malt
0.5lbs Special B
0.5lbs acid malt
Mashed at 148
2oz Magnum to bitter to 45IBUs
5gal

OG 1.082

WY 3787

2lbs blackberries
1lb raspberries
1lb blueberries
1lb elderberries (dried)

after a week 1/2 fruit
after another week 1/2 fruit + San Diego Super yeast starter (decanted)

FG 1.016

any thoughts?
any idea as to how much ABV the fruit added?

Hydrometer sample tastes good (elderberries added some bitterness). I’ll have a proper tasting in a couple of weeks.

So, it’s been in the keg a month. It smells heavenly with a nice head, literally the color of the”M” over to the left. The body is a dark purple but the mouthfeel is relatively light. There’s a bit too much bitterness. I don’t know if it’s the magnum or the dried elderberries. The dried elderberries never really rehydrated and left some “grit” that initially plugged the tap line. For this reason and the added bitterness, I would spend a bit more money on the real thing. It wouldn’t hurt to cut the magnum back as well. Overall, this was a good first step. I will report back this time next year on my second iteration.
Cheers

Back