Happy to be here.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LineSix

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I am brand new to home brewing. I've watched a bunch of home brew vids on YT and am excited to learn from you wonderful people. Hopefully one day I'll be able to return the favor. :)

I have my first brew going right now. It's just a gallon of basic Kilju. I figured a simple first brew would offer a lot of learning experience and kilju may be the most cost effective route for me. Also, I already had sugar, so it was a no brainer.

I am interested in giving meads a shot next. Perhaps some berry wines in the more distant future. Who knows?

Anyway, thanks for letting me be a part of this community and I hope to learn tons and share my journey with all of you along the way.

Hello everyone.

I am brand new to home brewing. I've watched a bunch of home brew vids on YT and am excited to learn from you wonderful people. Hopefully one day I'll be able to return the favor. :)

I have my first brew going right now. It's just a gallon of basic Kilju. I figured a simple first brew would offer a lot of learning experience and kilju may be the most cost effective route for me. Also, I already had sugar, so it was a no brainer.

I am interested in giving meads a shot next. Perhaps some berry wines in the more distant future. Who knows?

Anyway, thanks for letting me be a part of this community and I hope to learn tons and share my journey with all of you along the way.
Very glad to have you and to hear you're already fermenting! I'm extremely biased but if it sounds interesting to you then saisons could be fun. You can make a decent one with just malt extract. The fermentation, especially with french saison yeast, is typically very easy. They give interesting flavors and you can easily add fruits. Meads are also pretty simple and fun :)

I have so much to learn! This is actually the first time I've even heard about saison. The little bit that I just read from the good ole google is very interesting. Would you say its more of a summer time refreshing type of beer?

Very glad to have you and to hear you're already fermenting! I'm extremely biased but if it sounds interesting to you then saisons could be fun. You can make a decent one with just malt extract. The fermentation, especially with french saison yeast, is typically very easy. They give interesting flavors and you can easily add fruits. Meads are also pretty simple and fun :)
I meant to reply to you in the first response. Oops. Lol. See above please.

I have so much to learn! This is actually the first time I've even heard about saison. The little bit that I just read from the good ole google is very interesting. Would you say its more of a summer time refreshing type of beer?
I saw your other messages and understood :) Honestly, the range of saison beers is very wide.Some like Fantome tend to be maltier, complex, higher ABV, and often pretty firmly hopped with European hops. Then something like Saison De Dottignies is hoppy and lighter and more refreshing. But then you also have something like Au Baron saisons that are way more malt and yeast and water profile driven. Many, many people will also argue that the malts are the backbone of a saison and I really agree with that. The fun is that you can't go wrong! It's a very accepting style and woks with many different flavors and approaches. If you use light malt extract, basic hopping with European hops, and a simple yeast like Belle Saison (or a French saison yeast from other purveyors) then you will have a tasty, refreshing beer. If you like it and are interested then you can change it from there. Make it maltier, make it hoppier, change the yeast, use new age hops. It's very flexible. I think it might appeal for someone exploring a less standard approach to beer and fermentation. And it's friendly to warmer fermentation temps, since I saw you are in Florida. But, mostly, have fun and keep fermenting :mug:

Back