How do I test gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StrangeBrew40

Reaction score
So our lager has been fermenting for 13 days and we are going to bottle it tomorrow. Before we do I want to test the gravity to make sure it's done fermenting.

We have a hydrometer. Is it okay to just open up the 5 gallon bucket tonight and if so what do I do? Just plop the hydrometer into the beer and get a reading? Won't the bubbles on top affect the reading?

Thanks!!

So our lager has been fermenting for 13 days and we are going to bottle it tomorrow. Before we do I want to test the gravity to make sure it's done fermenting.

We have a hydrometer. Is it okay to just open up the 5 gallon bucket tonight and if so what do I do? Just plop the hydrometer into the beer and get a reading? Won't the bubbles on top affect the reading?

Thanks!!

You can do that- but it's a bugger to read then as you need to read it at eye level to be precise.

I'd grab a sanitized turkey baster, and pull out a sample for the tube the hydrometer came in, and gently spin the hydrometer to keep it off of the sides and to release any bubbles under it, and take the reading that way. And then, drink the sample. Just for quality control. :p

How do I test gravity?

Jump up; if your feet hit the floor again gravity is working; if you stay stuck to the ceiling gravity is broken. I don't recommend doing this test outside, just in case gravity is broken.

Thanks!!

Ok now on to the real question. First you really should have a wine thief (or clean turkey baster in a pinch) and a hydrometer test tube to get best results. Sanitize everything, and then using the thief (or baster) draw out a sample and put it into the testing tube. Then seal the fermentor back up. Drop the hydrometer into the test tube, make sure it doesn't hit the bottom, give it a little spin to make sure no air bubbles are on it, and then record the reading after it settles down. Take the hydrometer out, clean it off carefully, and then put away for the next couple of days. Do not pour the sample back into the fermentor that is asking for bad things to happen; instead you can drink it and see how your beer is tasting (remember the taste may be a bit green and of course will be flat).

Now you have to wait 2 days and then repeat the above steps; if the readings are the same then fermentation is done, if the FG has dropped a few more points then it is still fermenting and you'll have to test all over from the beginning in about a week or so.

Okay, so Yooper answered your actual question. I am going to answer the title of your thread.

(1) Go to the leaning tower of Pisa, lean over the edge and drop two spheres of differing mass. Observe both hitting the ground at the same time.

(2) Sit under an apple tree until an apple falls onto your head. Shout "Eureka".

(3) Get a degree in physics.

Sorry. Can't. Help. Myself.

Back