How much can I limit my mash volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBC

Reaction score
I am curious to see how many folks have tried to limit their mash water volume. If I were focused on a 5-gallon end-brew.. could I get by with 3-gallon mash volume, and rinse/sparge the difference with this low? I have often tried 5-gallon mash water volume and sparged with 2.5 gallon to get my boil volume... and have good efficiency in the 75%+ range (BIAB).

I ask this since I picked up a dang cool retro looking cooler that I want to mash-in but it is 5-gallon at best.. I know I could just give it a try but wanted some input before I started drilling the cooler for fittings.

Thanks for your input.

I usually use 1 US qt water per lb grain for the mash, and fly sparge with up to 5 gallons sparge water. In a 5 gallon cooler, I could get 13.5 lbs grain, and still have a bit of space left over. With this setup, I could make 5.25 gallons of beer with an OG of 1.075.

-a.

I usually use 1 US qt water per lb grain for the mash, and fly sparge with up to 5 gallons sparge water. In a 5 gallon cooler, I could get 13.5 lbs grain, and still have a bit of space left over. With this setup, I could make 5.25 gallons of beer with an OG of 1.075.

-a.

Perfect! Thanks..

+1. I use a 5g. If its any higher than say 1.065, I just bump up OG with extract and/or sugar. Nice thing is the cooler is always full to the brim which means temps hold rock steady.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

On the other hand, if you want to play around with mash thickness, 1 lb grain occupies a volume of 0.32 qts when mashing, so multiply the weight in lbs of grain by 0.32, add the amount of strike water in qts, and you have the total volume required for the mash.

-a.

Latest posts

Back