Not for me!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thinks its great, and its not a big deal. Our toilet water gets treated, sent back to whatever aqaufier you happen to live by, evaporated, condensed and comes back as rain. Its a closed system however you look at it.

So they're using water that comes from a wastewater treatment plant which has been purified back to drinking water...like a huge amount of the water that people in cities drink every day (via discharge to reservoirs and other surface waters). I don't see how this is news.

So they're using water that comes from a wastewater treatment plant which has been purified back to drinking water...like a huge amount of the water that people in cities drink every day (via discharge to reservoirs and other surface waters). I don't see how this is news.

Yea, I'm not sure how this is news either. Look at a map, follow the rivers up stream, the town at the top is the only one not using "recycled water". Some pull directly from the rivers, others from ground water which the rivers refill. The discharge from water treatment plants is cleaner than the water in the river it's flowing into.

Right now I'm brewing a beer made with the toilet water (at least a little anyway) from people living in Ward and Jamestown Colorado as well as many rural residents who have septic systems which ultimately make it into the river.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm all for wastewater treatment and pollution control, and if larger cities like SD can do it locally vs. piping water all over the desert of SoCal, then good on them. I just think Stone is turning this into a publicity stunt.

I just find it interesting - with brewing being such a water-intensive process - that we would make a point of it being used in beer. All that work to clear out a few gallons for consumption, only to require many more gallons of the stuff to get there. How much of the water used in brewing (and cleaning) is lost to the environment and not used for consumption?

Water can be purified - that is nothing new. Making beer with purified water is nothing more than a publicity stunt.

If we wanted to be impressive, make a five gallon batch and reduce the water waste - show that we can get 5 gallons of beer made with only 7.5 gallons of water total......

Back