Put my carboy through the dishwasher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meicoff

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Unfrontunately I put my glass carboy through the dishwasher and took it out early, I can't remember if I washed it out or not but I sampled a sip from it 3 hours after pitching and it tastes pretty soapy, should I dump it and start over? :(

It would seem to me unlikely that much, if anything, really got inside the carboy.....

Thought... What size carboy? Mine would not even fit inside my dishwasher.....

It is done now... If you don't need to use the carboy for the next batch let it finish and taste again. But just in case it is soap, get another batch started....

I agree. If you don't need the fermentor then ride it out! I just bought a bucket because after over 4 years of dealing with carboys I'm tired of cleaning them.

Wackiest thread in recent memory. Huge troll factor.

Why would anyone stick a carboy in a dishwasher? (i mean, assuming it could fit. I have a 30" wide undercounter and there's no way in this particular Reality that I could cram an intact carboy in there).

There's like an inch and a quarter diameter opening, and a hella lot of wide bore glass behind it. Even under the best possible circumstances, exactly what could possibly be accomplished here?

If this was an actual event, someone should take that glass away from the OP before s/he hurts her/himself...

Cheers! (And, "Sheesh" ;))

I think it could fit if you took the top rack out of mine. But that said why? Why not just clean, rinse, sanitize. I'd be more afraid of it tipping over and shattering (assuming you have opening facing down. ) than not getting thoroughly rinsed. And that said how much water do you really expect to get sprayed up into the Carboy in a dishwasher anyway?

Dishwasher heat can sterilize it if it fit...

If that were the case then by taking it out early, he also didn't properly sanitize it. I can't see a way water is getting all the way up into that carboy to do anything.

If this is a real thing and not a troll thread, then dump it. If it tastes soapy because there is soap in it, that ain't gonna age out.

Also, if the idea is to use the dishwasher as a means to sterilize it, the soap is not needed. I sterilize bottles in the dishwasher, but they are cleaned before I start. Therefore soap is useless and a source of a problem such as this.

Is the soapiness bearable, as is? I am sure it is drinkable. But do you think you can drink 5 gallons of soapy tasting beer? Could dry hopping help mask such a thing? Might be a waste of precious hops.

Back