Scoby arrived warm, what now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesy_Goodness

Reaction score
Hi all. I brew beer/wine but this is my first venture into kombucha.

A bit of background:
I ordered a scoby and a 2 gallon crock from amazon, both arrived 2 weeks ago. When the scoby got here, the packet it came in with tea was warm to the touch. I didn't get around to doing anything with it right away, so it was in the fridge for about 5 days.
I brewed about a quart of tea and placed it in a quart jar with a cheesecloth loosely placed on top on Saturday. Today it smells pretty pleasant (a bit sour but I believe that's normal). My thought was to keep the quart batch going until this Saturday (one week total), then brew a big batch of tea for my crock and place the whole quart batch in with it. My scoby is small so my thought was to give it a small "starter" batch to get its strength back up before going into a bigger batch. As of this morning the scoby is at the bottom of the jar (where it has been all week).
Does that seem like a logical approach or am I missing something only a newbie would miss?

Yup, I added about a cup to a quart to the tea.
One week in and it still smells sweet but slightly sour. Would it be a good idea to make a bigger batch and put what has been done in with it?

Yup, I added about a cup to a quart to the tea.
One week in and it still smells sweet but slightly sour. Would it be a good idea to make a bigger batch and put what has been done in with it?

sure I wouldn't add more sugar normally I use a 1/2 cup for 1/2 a gallon. Maybe Step up to a half gallon before the big crock.

Back