Bottle sanitation. Whats safe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could use bleach to sanitize, unscented. I'm not sure about the splashless bleaches. There's a method that involves vinegar for a no rinse method. Years ago I used just bleach with a rinse with hot water afterwards. Contact time is important from what I remember too, like an hour maybe?

@Bagarge Do you have a bottle washer? Three passes with one of these gets nearly everythingout. Once in a while a little speck of something will be dried up and stuck, so hold up to the light and check afterwards. *This picture does not show the necesssary gasket.
1712104073675.png

+1 for dishwasher sanitize setting, if you have one. It saves me at least an hour when bottling. Set it going and come back a couple hours later.

I fill bottles above the open dishwasher door. Easy cleanup!

I've tried many methods of bottle cleaning. I was never completely satisfied until I tried a Papazian method. He wrote about cleaning carboys with 2 oz bleach in 5 gallons of water, with an overnight soak. I use this bleach concentration, but scaled down for just the bottles I am cleaning (one session of beer bottles) - still an overnight soak. Hot water rinse the next day with a jet washer. It cleans better than anything else I've tried - spotless and no film. Then on bottling day, I spray one bottle with star san using a vinator, while I'm filling the previous bottle - very little extra time involved. I think the bleach actually sanitizes the bottles, but I give them a shot of Star San to kill anything that may have gotten into them while waiting for bottling day.

Would you recommend starsan as the number one for sterilisation? I have seen its very common for brewers to use.
Is it a no rinse product? If so i will order a bucket load of it for the amount of time it will save me 😂
I used a bucket for years until I realized I only need to soak the item that needs to be clean and have switched to a spray bottle it makes your sanitizer go a lot longer 5 squirt's per bottle with 20oz 3 for 12oz squirt the inside turn them up squirt the outside then bottle away

Back