Conditioning with or without carbonating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csantoni

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I’m currently fermenting a Weihenstephaner Helles clone recipe that calls for the following ferment/condition/lager schedule:

Ferment at 50F to FG
Transfer to secondary (for me, a keg) and condition at 45F for 10 days
Lager at 32F for 30 days
Carbonate

I don’t have the ability to do the true lagering so I’ll be keeping it at 45F for 3 to 4 weeks as I’ve done for my other light lagers. My question is whether there is likely to be a significant difference if I carbonate as soon as it is in the keg at 45F or if I should condition and “lager” first and only put it on gas when it has matured. I usually put light lagers on gas right away but I’m curious if there’s any benefit to waiting.

Last edited:
I don't see any benefit in waiting, brew will condition just as well carbed as not, and then you will be assured keg is sealed w pressure. Also, it will be ready to drink once conditioned.

If you want to take it to the next level, transfer to keg just before brew has reached final gravity, seal keg ( w a blast of CO) and beer will naturally carb as it conditions. I usually rack when there is an estimated .004-008 left to ferment, or when fermentation bubbles slow down but have not completely stopped, if one can not easily take a gravity sample. This is also the best way time to rack and do a successful diacytl rest, when there is still some yeast activity.

No worries if timing is not perfect, if it ends up under carbed, force carb it some. If it is over carbed, let some gas out or use extra pressure to serve already tapped kegs.

Yeah, I usually spund at about 10 psi in the fermentor for the last few points of gravity. For this recipe I want to follow their process as close as I can the first time. If I like it I’ll probably tweak a bit on the next batch based on what seems to work for me on other recipes.

I’m currently fermenting a Weihenstephaner Helles clone recipe that calls for the following ferment/condition/lager schedule:

Ferment at 50F to FG
Transfer to secondary (for me, a keg) and condition at 45F for 10 days
Lager at 32F for 30 days
Carbonate

I don’t have the ability to do the true lagering so I’ll be keeping t at 45F for 3 to 4 weeks as I’ve done for my other light lagers. My question is whether there is likely to be a significant difference if I carbonate as soon as it is in the keg at 45F or if I should condition and “lager” first and only put it on gas when it has matured. I usually put light lagers on gas right away but I’m curious if there’s any benefit to waiting.
Which of the two Helles did you brew, the original Helles or the newer version Helles?

I would love to see that recipe. I had a Helles by them and it was really good. I have looked around but cannot find the recipe. If you could point me in the right direction I would sure appreciate it.

If you want to take it to the next level, transfer to keg just before brew has reached final gravity, seal keg ( w a blast of CO) and beer will naturally carb as it conditions.

And if done with a spunding valve set to the appropriate chart pressure one can start a couple points early with no concern about overcarbing...

Cheers!

It’s just called Helles Lager. It’s from the Modern Lager Beer book by the guys from Jack’s Abbey.
Thanks.
If you brewed the original Weihenstephan Helles, called in the US Original Premium the recipe should call for one type of hops and grain. The newer Weihenstephan Helles uses three kinds of hops and a single malt. The original is decoction mashed and the newer Helles is step-mashed.

Now there's an interesting idea -- not sure I ever would've thought of that.
IMG_2738-001.JPG

Thanks.
If you brewed the original Weihenstephan Helles, called in the US Original Premium the recipe should call for one type of hops and grain. The newer Weihenstephan Helles uses three kinds of hops and a single malt. The original is decoction mashed and the newer Helles is step-mashed.
Recipe has three hops, a single malt, and two decoctions so it doesn’t match either of your options. I don’t think the recipe is relevant to the question of carbonation during or after maturation in any case.

Back