Flavored cider help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferdle

Reaction score
Hello All,

Just started a small 1 gallon batch of cider and I'm looking to do some flavors in this one.

Possibly ginger or raspberry?

I started primary fermentation on Friday.

Is there anything I can add to the secondary to get a flavor going on, or did I need to incorporate the ingredients before starting the primary (in a boil)?

And if I can add ingredients while racking to the secondary, how do I make sure the ingredients are "sterile"?

Hello All,

Is there anything I can add to the secondary to get a flavor going on, or did I need to incorporate the ingredients before starting the primary (in a boil)?

Any fruit you add in secondary will ferment and then it won't taste like the original fruit. You can use commercial flavorings at packaging, but I use frozen concentrate and keep the flavored cider in the fridge and drink ASAP so it doesn't kick off.
Look in you grocery store for apple/raspberry frozen concentrate, I add about 1/2 can to a 1.5 ML bottle and fill with finished cider. You may want to use more or less depending on your taste.
Note, Cider usually isn't boiled, but if you are worried about contamination you can heat whatever fruit you are using before you add it. I usually just freeze the fruit and if I'm adding to secondary, don't worry about it because the alcohol and the acidity in the cider seems to keep any problems from developing.

Thanks a ton!

So if I follow you correctly I would add the concentrate to the cider just before drinking or can I put in in the secondary?

Thanks a ton!

So if I follow you correctly I would add the concentrate to the cider just before drinking or can I put in in the secondary?

Hey Ferdie! From my experience, rack off of primary to secondary (another fermenter, without pulling any yeast), then add a pound per gallon of the fruit. Give it two days or so, taste it, if it’s good, cold crash to around 32F/0C to kill any fermentation. Cold crash for a few days, then bottle.

Back